Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean\Restore concrete around pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean\Restore concrete around pool?

Mine is a bit faded.... ideas?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clean\Restore concrete around pool?

Pressure wash it. You'll do that before any other treatment anyway, and you may find it does enough.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but thought I would chime in....we pressure washed our deck, in prep for staining. Carried it down to the patio...one thing leads to another, hubby decides to PW the sidewalk....the following winter the sidewalk begins to deteriorate. It was almost like the sidewalk had developed a protective "patina" and when it was removed and not "sealed" somehow...the winter/salt caused it to flake. Looks terrible, but we can't afford new.

If you do pressure wash it, is it recommended that it gets sealed with something? (A little late to ask that question, I know....LOL) but I thought if it's a pool deck, various pool chems or a SWG pool? I don't know if any of that would make a difference.

I saw some beautiful stained concrete the other day while walking in the 'hood.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

wow.... deteriate from pressure washing?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    wow.... deteriate from pressure washing?
    Not exactly....it looked beautiful afterwards, almost like new. But after the winter came and hubby and put down supposedly safe "cement safe" salt, it started to flake and fall apart. We had used the same salt for the first 7 years we lived here, and then suddenly after the pressure washing, the same salt (or something unidentified) caused the sidewalk and driveway to flake. Coincidence, maybe....I just don't know. Anyway I just thought it was worth mentioning, that after pressurewashing maybe there is some sort of protectant or sealant or something?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

To make pressure washer MUCH easier and with almost zero junk blown into the pool, check out a deck cleaner like these: http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/ac ... eaners.php

I have the Campbell-Hausfeld one that they show on clearance and it does an amazing job on concrete. It cleans a MUCH wider path than just using a spray tip. Using it is almost like using a vacuum cleaner on the patio. 8)
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280