New Pump GUidance

Aug 15, 2015
Raleigh, NC
So I'm very new to pool maintenance. Just purchased a house with a pool (IG/SWG). Based on reading other posts, I 95% certain the bearings on my pump or about to die. The pump is extremely loud (you can talk to someone next to you when the pump is on). Instead of replacing the bearings, I want to replace the "motor".

Is it possible to replace only the motor?

I would like to get a two stage motor to be more energy efficient.
What do i need to take into considerations when determining if my current system can even support a two stage motor?
Do you have any recommendations on a motor that will be much more quiet?

Below is a picture of the overall pumping system. The second picture is of the pump that is going bad. Here is a link to additional pictures of the pool equipment that may be helpful. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...08&authkey=!ALu5erIyQ0WnB3g&ithint=folder,jpg

Entire System.jpgMain Pump.jpg

Obviously, I'm a novice with pool equipment but I'm very mechanically savvy. Replacing the motor will not be a problem. I just want to make sure the new motor is appropriate.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You can certainly just replace the motor ... and I would certainly recommend a 2-speed version. You just have to match the high speed HP * SF (service factor) ... which is 1.5 SFHP on your existing motor ... to the high speed of your new pump and make sure the frame is the same (56J). You will also need a new shaft seal at a minimum and will need to wire in a switch to manually select speeds (a 3-way house light switch works well).

Jason - Thank you for the information. Is the motor frame the same as a flange? Also, do you have a recommendation on where to shop for a new motor? I have a Leslie's Pool supply down the road. For the 3-way switch. I guess you are referring to a plain switch I would get at Home Depot? If so, I guess I need to protect it from the elements as well.

Where did the motor picture go?

One other question, what is the voltage for your current motor? All the 2-speed motors in that size can only be wired for 240V.

I think you just need a B975 or B2975 motor ... although some I have seen indicate a SF of 1.4 and not 1.5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.