Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggest a glue that will hold a pool light to pool wall underwater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggest a glue that will hold a pool light to pool wall underwater?

Like title implies, I have an ongoing issue about installing a light fixture to the niche. No tab at top for screw, no clip at bottom to hold it up, light adapter ring is not made in this size (8" Sta-Rite niche - no supported anymore).

So, I'm going to glue the thing to the wall of the pool.
    Boss 802 Clear Pro Grade Silicone Sealant?
    3M Marine 5200 Adhesive Sealant?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggest a glue that will hold a pool light to pool wall underwater?

Can you drill a hole or two and tap it? Make your own machine screw thread.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Marine epoxy. The only reason I went to the pool store, once I found TFP, was to buy some of this.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Marine epoxy. The only reason I went to the pool store, once I found TFP, was to buy some of this.
    Alrighty.

Something like this:

Loctite 1405604 0.85-Ounce Plastic Syringe Epoxy Marine Gel $7

or this:

J-B Weld 8272 MarineWeld Marine Epoxy - 2 oz - $7

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

i wouldn't epoxy/glue your light to the wall. you need the ability to remove if it you need to change the bulb and/or remove it to get algae behind it. you could try and epoxy a ring/metal around the actual fixture and then tap/screw a new bolt into your wall to hold it in place

would this fix your problem: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Quic...epairKitOM.pdf
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I know what? We need pictures!!! Can't believe nobody has asked yet

8. Back To Top    #8

You could try a light wedge. They are fairly inexpensive.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Woo lots of responses..

Maybe yeah, a putty might be more practical I suppose.. Good thought

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    i wouldn't epoxy/glue your light to the wall. you need the ability to remove if it you need to change the bulb and/or remove it to get algae behind it. you could try and epoxy a ring/metal around the actual fixture and then tap/screw a new bolt into your wall to hold it in place

would this fix your problem: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Quic...epairKitOM.pdf
    Unfortunately I don't think it will as when the pool was resurfaced last with the previous owners they did a really bs job and didn't replaster like you normally would, instead opted to resurface with some kind of fiberglass shell and the way it covers the old niche is ridiculous. You will see in the picture below that the entire niche sort of 'recedes' now behind the surface of the pool wall. With no ring (or maybe just broken) with the screw hole tab and bottom clip.

I know what? We need pictures!!! Can't believe nobody has asked yet
    I have put some pictures up here previously of this issue. I did receive a lot of good help and ideas but unfortunately no real easy solution. See them below.

Quote Originally Posted by suep View Post
    You could try a light wedge. They are fairly inexpensive.
    Got a couple. But that doesn't solve the problem at the bottom of the niche to hold the light. But I do plan on using them somehow to "assist" in my unconventional install.

Picture time.

This is how I found it when I bought the house (not long ago)

Close-up of whatever this is pulled up on the deck

It is 8" in diameter and ANY light ring adapter I have found is for 10" Also see how it sits behind the pool wall (the niche)

No clip on bottom. Actually I am noticing now that there is a little sort of lip left from what used to be the clip before it broke off or whatever, sort of like how the tab for screw hole at top has some remnants of a previous tab remaining.

And a close up of the tab at top (what's left) and how the niche sits in recesses in the pool wall.

Again I'm not trying to double post, and I did get some good help before, just the paths I was sent down didn't pan out, not anyones fault, they were good ideas.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well there seems to be no easy way to stick with the same size cover or stock parts, so I would personally find a cover that was larger than your opening/niche. It will take some ingenuity and thought. But this would then allow you to drill new holes in the wall to attach the new cover and trim ring that would cover the entire opening. It would probably be the cleanest looking and most practical way to solve this and still be able to access the bulb for replacement. Doubt you will be able to find a kit that would do this and make it simple (nothing ever is lol), you will probably need to make this up as you go from parts you can find from other light kits. But hopefully this helped you to have a new idea now maybe. Good luck!
    My AG Frankenpool 16' / 6,041g
    Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix 1.5HP Pump
    Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator

11. Back To Top    #11

i would make a new mounting plate
    then epoxy mounting plate in
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

12. Back To Top    #12

I would buy a new light! See if there are any that will fit.

If no new light I would do as said above. Find something to make a plate to cut to fit the niche then a hole in the middle to put the light into.

It HAS to be removable! Water can/will get in there and grow algae.

Plexiglases? just a little larger than then niche so you can use a self taping screw to hold it on.............hole in the middle just a tiny bit small so you have to almost force the light into it to hold it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit