Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Should I let pump run after adding Muriatic Acid

Should I let pump run after adding Muriatic Acid

I added 1/2 gallon of MA this morning. Should i let my pump run as usual during the day or should I turn it off after 30 minutes of circulation?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

Re: Should I let pump run after adding Muriatic Acid

You want to make sure the pump is running for at least 1/2 hour, preferably even an hour, during and right after after adding most chemicals.

Running the pump longer than 1/2 hour is just fine, particularly if you would normally have it running anyway. There isn't any reason to turn off the pump early, just because you added muriatic acid. Just about the only situation that requires turning off the pump is a floc treatment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

If you poured it into the stream of a return or prediluted it and poiured it around the pool then about 30 minutes should be good. If you dumped it in undiluted I would start brushing to mix it up.

However, there is no reason at all to shorten your pump run time because you added acid for either pH or TA!

Thanks Guys. I did use the liquid type and poured it in the returns. How long should I wait before the kids jump in? They're out of school and the temperature should get in the upper 70's. Too cold for me to get in but good enough to have a few beers by the pool side.
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

30 minuutes should suffice. If you want to double check then test the pH in the area you poured in the acid and at the opposite end of the pool. If they are the same everything is mixed. If they are not give it a bit more time or brush the pool to 'stir it up'.