Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone know this solar powered floating chemical dispenser worth to buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone know this solar powered floating chemical dispenser worth to buy?

I found a neat little "solar powered" dispenser on-line, anyone think it worth to buy? It sounds reasonable, the floating dispenser will move around pool by solar power, eliminates the "dead" spot of regular floating dispenser due to stay in one place, and not very expensive though.

Thank you for you feedback!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone know this solar powered floating chemical dispenser worth to buy?

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

While I can't speak for the quality of this product, I will say that in general TFP doesn't recommend any floating dispenser. This is due to the fact that in general we greatly suggest members avoid using chlorine pucks as they push your CYA level up to the point that a drain/refill is required to fix this issue. The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry article covers this further.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Anyone know this solar powered floating chemical dispenser worth to buy?

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to not generally recommending the use of TriChlor pucks for the reasons Leebo pointed out, in a pool with proper circulation once the puck melts into the water solution it will quickly get mixed throughout the pool. While some pool do have areas of low circulation which need to be addressed, I'm not sure I thnk a motorized puck dispenser is the answer.

As a new member I would invite you to check out Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon