Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DO I have to add any chemicals into a brand new water to winterize

1. Back To Top    #1

DO I have to add any chemicals into a brand new water to winterize

Hi guys, I have just changed the pool linear in my on-ground pool. So I am thinking to winterize it right away without starting the pump and filling in the water completely. SO do I just put the cover and blow pipes ? Do I have to add any chemicals at all into the water ?
    Thank you.
    IG 8k gallons. Chlorine pool. Vinyl. Jacuzzi Lazer Sand 160 Filter. Jacuzzi Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DO I have to add any chemicals into a brand new water to winterize

I would follow the usual pool closing rules...fresh water won't stay fresh for long if it is not balanced. At least the water temp should be pretty low with a fresh fill.
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Without a way to circulate the water to ensure a through missing of the bleach, acid, and any other items you may need to adequately balance the water to the recommended levels, doing an accurate closing would not be possible. While your pool is only 8K gallons, trying to mix everything manually could be exhausting. Your best bet is to follow the instruction on the Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool or Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool page as applicable. Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter