Filter Choices

KurtV

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
SE Louisiana
Few topics in pooldom engender more rancor than the seemingly innocuous filter. Its almost as bad as politics and religion and each type, cartridge, diatomaceous earth (DE) , and sand, has developed cult-like followings. In my research I found the following general consensus (though by no means unanimous) opinions on filter types:

DE = Cleanest water, between sand and cartridge for maintenance and life cycle costs;
Sand = Easiest maintenance, cheapest over its life cycle, third of three for filtering (but still good);
Cartridge = Most maintenance (but still pretty darn easy), most expensive over time, between sand and DE for filtering.

All three types have their advocates and detractors (though cartridges seem to have the fewest advocates and the most detractors).

For the record, I have a a sand filter filled with zeobrite. The filtering with this setup is supposed to be rival DE but provide the ease of maintenance of a sand filter. As is usual, the zeo peddlers overstate their case; it's a good setup but DE it ain't (and probably not even any better than a cartridge).

No matter which type you choose, over sizing the filter is almost universally acknowledged as sound practice.

Good info! Be aware that some municipalities only allow cartridge filters these days (or require a separation tank with a DE filter) because of the wastewater issue with sand and DE filters.

waterbear said:
Good info! Be aware that some municipalities only allow cartridge filters these days (or require a separation tank with a DE filter) because of the wastewater issue with sand and DE filters.

Good point. Even among those political subdivisions that do allow DE and sand, many have some pretty stringent requirements on where exactly you can dump the wastewater.

my pb talked me into a cartridge filter this time. (2nd pool)
I was worried that backwashing swg water would kill landscaping and grass.......
the sand filter i had on the last pool was flawless and so easy.
soooo, i am kinda having regrets.
lastly, does the salt backwash kill the grass??

KurtV,

That is an interesting thread that you linked......particularly jfalken's experience. I never saw that thread on PF.

I think I'll redirect my backwash next time I'm doing something with the plumbing....makes good sense.

Induce,

Re: trading even for cartridge vs. DE. My first reaction to that was you indicated you were perfectly happy with sand on your first pool. If so, surely he would want to put you where you had already been happy....with a sand filter. Did that not come up in the discussion?

Dave's right. if you were happy with sand before you should at least consider that again.

By far, the most important consideration in filters is sizing. Make sure the filter you're getting is rated for the flow your pump will deliver through your plumbing system. If it were me, I'd get the next size up from what that calculation called for.

sand did come up.....my first request. i think his first thought was something that would fit on the pad, as all the equipment has been set and there would be a complete replumb and moving around of equipment to fit in a large sand filter. I think i'm going to fly with the cartridge as time is now a factor. they dropped the liner yesterday!! pool is filling and they are cutting the steps in this am. The pb has been fantastic, a great build. I think he may even tear the pad down and put in the sand filter if i pushed a little. indecision may or may not be my problem.............

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.