Waterline Tile Size - Are 6" tiles too big for curvy pool?

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
So our PB thinks 6" waterline tiles are too big for the curves on our pool. We have 4' and 2x8' inside radii (?), and a 6' outside radius. He suggested 3x3's. What do you think - does it matter? Our selected 6" tile doesn't come in 2" or 3" tiles. Sigh.

Well, looking at the inside of my spa, it has a 7-ft diameter at the tile line and I have 6" tiles. Looks fine to me. Would 3" tiles look better, I can't really say, maybe but it's 4 times as much stuff for the tile guy to hang and get square. You have to ask yourself if you going to 3" and adding all those additional grout lines will give the look that you want.

Pictures would help.

Re: Waterline Tile Size - Are 6" tiles too big for curvy pool?

Grout lines are exactly what we are worried about!!

Well, in all things remodeling and decor, I take the easy way out and remember the two words that my wife's uncle (who was a Navy chaplain and married us) said to me - "The two most important words a man can learn for a successful marriage are these - 'Yes, dear.'"

Just a little suggestion and perhaps the mods can fix this, but it's always good to keep "similar" threads together. This thread on tile choice should really be in your build thread so that people following your build could chime in. Having multiple threads related to a single build can get confusing. It's no big deal or offense or anything, just good posting practice.

Not sure about the tile choice. I suppose the grout is either going to be white or grey. I hate grout line but some don't mind them. If it were me, I'd try the bigger tile first. Just work out a deal with your PB that if you don't like it and want it chipped out for smaller tile that he isn't going to charge you an arm and a leg.

Well, in all things remodeling and decor, I take the easy way out and remember the two words that my wife's uncle (who was a Navy chaplain and married us) said to me - "The two most important words a man can learn for a successful marriage are these - 'Yes, dear.'"

haha -- yes dear, the tiles are too big?

- - - Updated - - -

Just a little suggestion and perhaps the mods can fix this, but it's always good to keep "similar" threads together. This thread on tile choice should really be in your build thread so that people following your build could chime in. Having multiple threads related to a single build can get confusing. It's no big deal or offense or anything, just good posting practice.

Not sure about the tile choice. I suppose the grout is either going to be white or grey. I hate grout line but some don't mind them. If it were me, I'd try the bigger tile first. Just work out a deal with your PB that if you don't like it and want it chipped out for smaller tile that he isn't going to charge you an arm and a leg.

Yes, I completely understand your comment about linking it to my main thread, but I was worried about getting eyes that don't follow our laborious "building" posts! :)

Reactions: ddoggphx
Well, now I have to follow two threads ;)

Looking at your backyard I have forgotten how lush the East Coast is. I grew up in NY but moved out west in my late 20's. I am now officially a desert-dweller. So looking at your pool build, your landscaping gives me heart palpitation. I have one (1) mesquite tree near my pool that drives me absolutely batty with leaves, needles, pollen, beans, etc, in the pool; I threaten it weekly with my chainsaw. But looking at your backyard and YIKES :crazy: !! I'd get a landscaper in there after the pool is going and have him trim that jungle back a really good distance from the pool....can you tell I live in a desert ;)

Enjoy your build!!

Matt

If you go against the PB's advice, you are saying to him you accept responsibility for the tile guy to make a successful installation. Asking a bunch of us pool-owning Ninnies who have little, if any, tile experience, is REALLY going out on a limb.

Stay with what your PB is telling you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.