Hello All

waynetang

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
weston/wi
Decided to join the party here after running into an end of the season bio disaster known as mustard algae.
I corrected the MA issue with a ton of shock which sent my FC level to what I can tell was 50+. Yeah I know I never should have done that but I I was done playing games :mad:, 10% Chlorine Bleach was on sale at Ace for $2.49, and our nightly temps have dipped into 30's. So it was time for action because soon I will not be able to run the pump because it will freeze.
The Chlorine levels are going down after 3 days of full sun and repeated back-washing and filling with fresh water from my sand point well. It is probably somewhere in the 20-30 ppm range now. I used to install AGP pools and put mine in July of 2015. Since dropping my 50+ thermonuclear bomb I have been checking the Liner, pool parts, and pump. Everything looks good. Liner looks as dark blue as the day I put it in.
Since the liner is new and hasn't been exposed to UV for that long so it is going to be fine. Not to mention I can always replace it myself.
I am going to enroll into the lifer's club here and get a t-100 in order to avoid another bio disaster.
Strangely enough after working as pool installer and working for a pool store (delivery and warehouse) for a number of years I know very little about pool chemistry.
Why is that? Because I wasn't a salesperson. A lot of people at pool stores are sales people and get paid on commission. Back in the 80's in the summer some of the sales guys would make $500+/mo on commission on pool chemical sales. Obviously a racket. That is why I don't set foot in a pool store.
So don't ever ask a pool installer about pool chemistry because he doesn't know unless he owns a pool. Most installers don't have pools because they can't use them because they are working 12 hour days during swim season.

Welcome to TFPC Wangtang! Glad you found us. More glad you realize you need a good test kit. You're on the right track now, ignoring that little chlorine nuke you dropped recently :cyclopsani:

I don't think I ever read before that pool sales folks get commission on the sale of chemicals. It sure does make sense if you consider how hard they push some (Yeah, I'm looking at YOU Leslie's Pool Store with your ferkocta PhosFree!)

Your experience in installation is a great asset to this site and you'll probably be able to help folks with those type questions. Please feel free to jump in and answer if you see a post that you can help.

Again, WELCOME!

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Will be great to have your experience with pool installs on board as there are lots of AG pool owners with questions about installations and repairs on TFP.

I've been through the Weston/Wausau area a few times and it's got some great scenery and park areas. I'll be closing soon here to...

Great choice on the TF-100, you will not regret it. Think about adding the SpeedStir accessory. I love doing my testing with it and think it gives me more consistent results (and saves my wrist from carpal tunnel due to shaking tubes).

Welcome to TFPC Wangtang! Glad you found us. More glad you realize you need a good test kit. You're on the right track now, ignoring that little chlorine nuke you dropped recently :cyclopsani:

I don't think I ever read before that pool sales folks get commission on the sale of chemicals. It sure does make sense if you consider how hard they push some (Yeah, I'm looking at YOU Leslie's Pool Store with your ferkocta PhosFree!)

Your experience in installation is a great asset to this site and you'll probably be able to help folks with those type questions. Please feel free to jump in and answer if you see a post that you can help.

Again, WELCOME!

Back in the 1980's they sure did. I don't know if anything has change with the rise of the Big Box stores. A friend of mine who was a high school kid (like me at the time) that worked the chem lab at the store could make $300 of commission on a weekend (1980's dollars)! The sales people who sold pools/spas were getting upset because he was raking it in.
Of course this was in N. Illinois and the people down there would put in in-ground pools the were 20 x 40 or 18 x 36. I used to deliver the in-ground pools. They were made by Ester Williams. I have no idea what a pool that size holds in gallons.
They used to have vermiculite/concrete blend bottoms. Since then I have found out that has asbestos in it. I used to be covered with that stuff from delivering the bags. I am a runner now and don't seem to have any lung problems.
They would drop in a beaded liner that hung off the top edge of the wall under coping. Those 20 x 40 liners had to weigh well over 200 pounds.

JVTrain.
Just noticed the picture of your pool that looks very similar to the ones we used to deliver. Also noticed the gallons: 32K. A lot of water. Yeah I like living here in Weston. Winter is brutal and there is no spring to speak of, but summer and fall is great. Like I said we just put the pool up this year. I am guessing if we have a Winter like we did in 2013 -20F for ten days straight, our pool will freeze solid. In 2013 the frost penetrated over 8 feet in the ground and was cracking city water lines.

JVTrain.
Just noticed the picture of your pool that looks very similar to the ones we used to deliver. Also noticed the gallons: 32K. A lot of water. Yeah I like living here in Weston. Winter is brutal and there is no spring to speak of, but summer and fall is great. Like I said we just put the pool up this year. I am guessing if we have a Winter like we did in 2013 -20F for ten days straight, our pool will freeze solid. In 2013 the frost penetrated over 8 feet in the ground and was cracking city water lines.

It probably is very similar. Bottom and sides are vermiculite/concrete from what I can tell (lots of little bumps and a few small craters). Pool was build in the early 90s I believe. My pool freezes solid on top every year, of course but not all the way down like an AG could. 2013 was my first winter with the pool and the ice had to be over 2 feet down. Many water lines in the city froze because we didn't have a lot of snow cover during the long subzero temps. Without insulating snow, the frost penetrates much deeper in the ground, especially under roads where there is usually no snow (if they get it plowed in a timely fashion). They even had residents in most nearby towns instructed to leave 1 faucet in their home on a trickle 24 hours a day to prevent freezing of lines coming in from the street. I love the snow, but I could go for a mild winter without the extended cold like that year.