AGP with Expandable line to 7'?

Sep 13, 2015
Suffolk,Va
I am considering a 18x34x52 AGP with a expandable liner to 7'. I live in the Hampton roads area of Va about 50 miles from the ocean. I have watched youtube videos on installing them but my questions is for the deep end section, what are people doing about ground water coming up under the deep end. Will it create bubbles or pockets of water underneath? Or is there enough downward pressure from the pool being full to not cause this? Or am I just overthinking this? Thanks for any responses.

Your main issues with ground water will be digging the actual hole. You can install well points to help minimize ground water. Use the search feature to read up on well points.

As casey said, the problem will be with dewatering the actual excavation.

Once there is water in the pool, there will be no issue. Think of it like this. If you try to put an empty cup in a buck of water, it will float up. Fill that cup with water and it will sit nicely in the bucket. As long as the water in your pool is at or above the level of the groundwater, it will be stable.

-dave

Thanks for the info. I have dug holes for fence post before and seen water at 2' and then I have installed a propane tank at 9' in the ground and it was bone dry. I do know that my main well for the house is at 53'. Friend at work has said he has had bubble problems before with his IGP but it was only on the shallow end but goes away when he adds water or it just goes away. I hope the installer has done a few of them and has the answers and gives me a warm and fuzzy.

where you dug for the hole for the fence post was it near the foundation of your home? If it was then the water you saw was due to the drain tile system that was installed when your home was built. Given that propane tanks are normally installed much further away from the home for obvious reasons, might the reason why you didn't see ground water at 9'.
I have seen in-ground pools use something called a hydro-static valve. It is basically a one way valve that allows ground water flow into the pool when the pressure of the ground water exceeds that of the pressure of the pool water. that being said I have never heard of sand bottom pool using a hydro-static valve.

You can also try and plan the actual dig during dry weather. It could help minimize ground water.

I have a semi perched water table here as well.

The area where my house is was at one time a river flood plain. There is now about, from what I can tell, about 6 feet of fill on top - poorly graded sandy fill.

Water will drain into the sand, and perch on top of the old flood plain and then take some time to perc out. In the spring, I can dig and hit water at around 3'. After a long dry spell, it's all dry.

where you dug for the hole for the fence post was it near the foundation of your home? If it was then the water you saw was due to the drain tile system that was installed when your home was built. Given that propane tanks are normally installed much further away from the home for obvious reasons, might the reason why you didn't see ground water at 9'.
I have seen in-ground pools use something called a hydro-static valve. It is basically a one way valve that allows ground water flow into the pool when the pressure of the ground water exceeds that of the pressure of the pool water. that being said I have never heard of sand bottom pool using a hydro-static valve.

The fence post were actually about 50' from the house. My yard drains very very well sandy soil. I can lift the lid on my propane tank after a few days that it has rained and water is about a foot below it. this year it has been really dry. we usually get some rough afternoon pop up storms but hardly any this year. Going to call the PB back and ask some questions. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.