Replacement Pool Lighting

Sep 16, 2015
Florida/Sebastian
I currently have a Sta-rite 12v, 300w, halogen light. The light has a very slow leak such that I have to replace the bulbs every 6 months. When I replace them I find a teaspoon of water in the fixture. I'd like to replace the light with an LED light. I have looked at the Hayward replacement lamps and some of the lamps that I have seen on e-bay.

The hayward fixture is quite expensive and seems to be a similar design with a bulb, in air, inside a water tight fixture. The attractive point of some of the lights I have seen on e-bay is that many of them are resin filled and completely waterproof. I am not sure why I would want to go with a "mechanically sealed" fixture as opposed to a completely waterproof one. In addition, the hayward color logic lights have a cheap plastic rim and use a plastic adapter ring, why would I want that? For the price, I would expect gold plated sterling silver, brushed titanium alloy, monel, beryllium or some other exotic material.

The only thing wrong with the existing fixture is that it has a tiny leak, structurally it is sound and sturdy. Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't drill a hole in the existing fixture, pull out the guts, let it fill with water and stick a resin filled LED light inside it. I would retain the heavy duty glass lens, the nice stainless steel rim and the existing fixture body which fits perfectly in the existing niche. I might have to use plumbers putty or some epoxy to fasten the LED light inside the existing body but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any comments?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.