Pool Pump/Motor Care

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
I live in Upstate NY, where the Winter weather isn't exactly friendly. I just got a brand new Hayward Max Flo 1 HP pump this season, and am wondering what's best for its longevity. I currently have it hard-wired, and was wondering if it is smart to convert it to a three-prong plug and bring it inside in the Winter.

What are the pros/cons of leaving it outside/bringing it inside? What do you guys do?

I really don't think that the way it's connected (plug or hard-wired) will have an effect on it's service life. More than anything, the amount of use and run-time each season will probably determine that, to include if there were any unusual circumstances where the pump may have run dry for an exceptionally long time. I don't have extreme cold temps where I live, but for those that do and close their pool, I suspect most of them disconnect their pump and store it in the garage or something that provides a little relief from the freezing temps. Part of that though is also because there may still be water trapped in the pump, and you don't want that water to expend and cause damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.