Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump/Motor Care

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump/Motor Care

I live in Upstate NY, where the Winter weather isn't exactly friendly. I just got a brand new Hayward Max Flo 1 HP pump this season, and am wondering what's best for its longevity. I currently have it hard-wired, and was wondering if it is smart to convert it to a three-prong plug and bring it inside in the Winter.

What are the pros/cons of leaving it outside/bringing it inside? What do you guys do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump/Motor Care

I really don't think that the way it's connected (plug or hard-wired) will have an effect on it's service life. More than anything, the amount of use and run-time each season will probably determine that, to include if there were any unusual circumstances where the pump may have run dry for an exceptionally long time. I don't have extreme cold temps where I live, but for those that do and close their pool, I suspect most of them disconnect their pump and store it in the garage or something that provides a little relief from the freezing temps. Part of that though is also because there may still be water trapped in the pump, and you don't want that water to expend and cause damage.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

As Splash has stated it's best to bring it in for the winter. I just replace my 18+ old SuperPump which had a 220v plug, it spent it's winters in the garage. This thread has a good discussion on your options: Advice on new Hayward Tristar VS Pump
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Hard wired? Code says twist lock.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.