Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine/bleach deals

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine/bleach deals

Saw that the 'best places to buy chlorine' thread was closed, wasn't sure why. I've typically just done the 2.5 gallon refill at Leslie's, or bought bleach at Walmart. However, recently I was at Home Depot and saw they do 6 packs of 5.25% generic bleach gallons for 7.99. Despite being less potent, this is still the best deal I can find. Seems to work like any other chlorine after weeks of use and testing (of course adjusting for the lower %). This has dropped my chlorine bill a good chunk so though I'd share! I'm in Tampa, FL.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Liquid chlorine/bleach deals

Scott that is a good deal BUT make sure to check the date codes. We had one member buy bleach that ended up being 3 YEARS old! It was really just water due to age they did get their money back.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

My local Lowes stores their liquid chlorine outside in the sun. Not only do I not want weaker 5% bleach, but degraded bleach is even a worse bargain IMO.

Stick to the stores with large turn over to get the freshest bleach. 8.25% is the standard now, so weaker stuff makes me wonder even more about its quality.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

SW Ohio

I noticed the closed thread just now and wondered why as well. I was going to reply that the info posted for Indiana also goes for Ohio, since both Rural King and Menard's have stores in Ohio with the same deals:

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Menards: $3.99 for one gallon of 12%. 26 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. On sale around Memorial Day as BOGO making it 13 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

In fact, right now Rural King has the 4-pack of 10% for $7.99. It looks like they do have a few stores in FL, though I have no idea how close they are to you folks. If they go back up to regular price, it looks pretty close to Home Depot's price.

I stocked up at the start of the season when it was $6.99, but only have one gallon left now. I'm going to stop in to pick up a few more in hopes that we get to use the pool once or twice more before closing.
    My pool: 18x36 rectangular IG vinyl, 3'3"-5"3", 20k gallons, installed 9/2013. Pentair SuperFLO 1hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter.
    My test kit: LaMotte ColorQ 2056 Pro 7.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Longview, Texas

here is a cool little chlorine calculator and makes comparing apples to apples a bit easier.
    Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!