Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you pay for closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you pay for closing?

This is our first year with a pool, so I'm starting to look into closing options. Local companies are all quoting me in the $500 range, which I think is a bit high.

I read the pool school closing article, and it all seems mostly straight forward except for blowing out the lines. A local company will do a line blow-out only for $136.

So I guess my options are:

A) Pay $500 per season for full service closing
    B) Pay $136 per season for blow-out and do the rest myself
    C) Get a Cyclone and learn to do it all myself

Any suggestions? I know a lot of you probably DIY the whole process.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What do you pay for closing?

For my first closing, I watched and asked the pool company lots of questions so I could learn how to close properly.

I closed it myself one year (without anyone else helping me) and ended up bursting an above ground pipe... luckily my heater and below ground plumbing was okay. Thankfully my son was in town and able to repair the pipe.

To avoid any problems, I'm back to having a pool company close it for me at a cost of $400 (Washington DC metro area prices). I always add extra polyquat60 since they never add enough.

I'm middle aged single female and I don't have the strength to do everything, but if I was a few years younger I would close it myself.

For some, paying a pool company to close is good insurance to protect yourself from costly repairs of burst pipes or broken equipment.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

$350 is what the going rate here in the NW ohio
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Kcindc : For my first closing, I watched and asked the pool company lots of questions so I could learn how to close properly. I closed it myself one year (without anyone else helping me) and ended up bursting an above ground pipe... luckily my heater and below ground plumbing was okay. Thankfully my son was in town and able to repair the pipe.

What pipe exactly burst and how did it come apart? Blowing air through the system and having a pipe burst above ground sounds kind of strange. What type of air compressor were you using? Maybe you closed off a valve and pressure built up. When closing a pool, the main drain should stay open to protect the system and it is always the last to go, so the system does not build to much backpressure. Just curious. I am glad that you were able to fix it.

Pin Guy, I would recommend paying the $136, if you are not comfortable, as this is a fair price for the lines only. Keep us posted!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Northern IL:
    auto-cover/no cover $420
    solid w/ straps $530
    solid w/bags $570
    mesh $485
    chemicals extra so you can do chems yourself

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, for the first time it looks like I'm getting a deal here in ny, $300 with a LoopLoc cover.
    They ask me to lower the water to about a foot below the tiles and they do the rest.
    Another $300 to open.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

EV: There are some other alternatives, but that company has an absolute guarantee on equipment and plumbing. Cheapest I know here for your type of cover is $375.

Ping: $136 seems like a great compromise!

8. Back To Top    #8

I pay $275 which includes installation of my loop-loc cover in SE MI. I take care of balancing the chemicals myself.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    What pipe exactly burst and how did it come apart? Blowing air through the system and having a pipe burst above ground sounds kind of strange. What type of air compressor were you using? Maybe you closed off a valve and pressure built up. When closing a pool, the main drain should stay open to protect the system and it is always the last to go, so the system does not build to much backpressure. Just curious. I am glad that you were able to fix it.

Pin Guy, I would recommend paying the $136, if you are not comfortable, as this is a fair price for the lines only. Keep us posted!
    It was the pipe between my heater and my in line chlorinator. It failed because i used a leaf blower which didn't have enough pressure to go through the pipes and equipment. It was enough to get the water out of the heater but after the heater the pipes dip down below the rest of the equipment before coming back up to the chlorinator.

If I did it myself again, I would purchase a compressor.

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

10. Back To Top    #10

Last year I had the pool company blow out my lines, RV antifreeze and air lock the main drain. Before they arrived, I had lowered the water level below returns. I handled installing the loop-loc cover after closing. Based on a CYA rise I measured in the spring, they added some dichlor during closing against my wishes. I'd have to look up the receipt but I believe it was $120. I'm debating about doing the blow-out myself this year but that $120 is kind of cheap insurance if anything should go wrong over the winter such as freeze damage...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow...I think I need to open a side business with those rates! I did my own last year as a first time pool owner. Yes, I was worried b/c of no prior experience, but I am also the "I'd prefer to do it myself type", even though it probably took me 3x as long as someone who has done it for years. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I pay $149.00. They close and put the loop loc cover on. I do my own chemicals otherwise they charge $16.00 for chemicals.

Opening, they open, make sure everything is working and put the cover away. I do my own chemicals and they charge 149.00 plus, if I open in March they give me a $50.00 gift card for their company.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sweet deal. Our prices are high because we are in an affluent area. (Not us...!!!) And there's not enough competition. There are tons of pools, most everyone has them.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    This is our first year with a pool, so I'm starting to look into closing options. Local companies are all quoting me in the $500 range, which I think is a bit high.

I read the pool school closing article, and it all seems mostly straight forward except for blowing out the lines. A local company will do a line blow-out only for $136.

So I guess my options are:

A) Pay $500 per season for full service closing
    B) Pay $136 per season for blow-out and do the rest myself
    C) Get a Cyclone and learn to do it all myself

Any suggestions? I know a lot of you probably DIY the whole process.
    Since this is your first year, maybe you can SLAM the pool, lower the water and pay the price for the education on actually closing your pool. You may be able to negotiate a lower price if you can help. You won't know if you don't ask. Good luck! I just closed my pool by myself but I have an above ground.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

$300 for mine. I watched closely on the first closing. It was so easy. I noted what model of air blower they used and bought my own (cyclone, $300). Now I do my own closings.

You can lower the water yourself, bring it to slam level, throw a $15 bottle of 60% polyquat, and call the guy who will blow the lines for $136, or just buy the cyclone. I did.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm paying $220 without chemicals or $290 with. I choose to do the pre-closing cleaning and add the chemicals myself. At $220, I feel like I'm getting a bargain.
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

In-ground 20,000 gal vinyl Grecian, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward 3/4 HP Superpump, AquaRite salt water chlorine generator, Heat Siphon C575HP heat pump and Blue Diamond robotic cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

I pay $250. I put my own chemicals in. Have a loop loc cover.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

One of these days we will close our own. I could use the savings!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Wow, I thought we were paying a bit much for 20 minutes work, three plugs and a couple gallons of RV antifreeze. We are only paying 150-175 but I still want to get a "Cyclone" and close it myself. I've seen it done enough times I'm sure I can do as good a job as the guys we get out here if I had the proper blower. That blower is the key. It's a bit much $$$300 to purchase initially but it pays for itself the second or third year. It's just spending that much for something you use once a year !!!

Anyone with a recommendation for something that works as well but isn't three hundred bucks ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!