Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir Door Stop Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Weir Door Stop Repair

Hi everyone. Discovered a bit of an issue this morning when I checked my skimmer. The plastic piece at the top of my skimmer opening that holds the rubber stopper that prevents the weir door from floating back out toward the pool broke off. Pool is an in-ground gunite pool about 14 years old or so. Looks like the plastic just got old and snapped off. It's an American Products/Pentair skimmer unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on the most effective way to re-attach/repair this piece short of jackhammering out the entire skimmer? My guess is some type of epoxy should do the trick, but obviously, it has to take the constant pounding of the weir slapping into it on a daily basis. It's above the water line, so making a "dry" repair won't be an issue. I look forward to your suggestions and advise.

Thanks!
    18'x40' free form 24,000 gal. IG white plaster pool, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair FSN 60 DE Filter, Pentair UltraTemp 120 Heat Pump, Pentair Easy Touch control system w/IC40 SWG , Flo-Vis flow meter - built in 2000.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weir Door Stop Repair

Just spit-balling here but here's my idea. Drill out a hole or use a self tapping screw to attach a rubber foot in the proper location on the top of the inner skimmer channel. A foot similar to these, but in a size that suits you. Once screwed in, coat the screw head with some silicone caulking if you don't go with a stainless or bronze screw. Might be difficult to get tools in the skimmer to do this though... In that case maybe try to epoxy the rubber foot directly to the top of the skimmer channel. Not sure if the epoxy or continuous pool water exposure would break down the rubber though. Or just epoxy a plastic piece that will do the job.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll spitball another idea albeit a pricier one than JVTrain suggested.

Find your skimmer online hopefully with a blown-up diagram of all its parts and see if there is any kind of a replacement piece available. You might have to buy a new skimmer but perhaps cutting a new one down and marrying it with your old one might be of value...or not.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why don't you look at getting a new basket and a circular weir? You won't need the door at all

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Something like THIS
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I'm. A KISS guy. I screwed a SS screw into the side of the skimmer throat wall that is above the water line. It has worked well.