Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Infamous Black Algae - or is it?

1. Back To Top    #1

The Infamous Black Algae - or is it?

Greetings all!

I'm attempting to identify the substance currently residing at the bottom of my diving well. At this point, I've exhausted most of the typical options. Maintaining high levels of chlorine will not reduce, black algae killer has had no effect, and no amount of elbow grease (with a steel wire brush) takes the stuff off the shell.

Does this look like the infamous black algae, or am I looking at a more serious problem?

Thank you for the collective insight!

Diving Well (001).jpg

Diving Well (002).jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: The Infamous Black Algae - or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_RAN View Post
    Greetings all!

I'm attempting to identify the substance currently residing at the bottom of my diving well. At this point, I've exhausted most of the typical options. Maintaining high levels of chlorine will not reduce, black algae killer has had no effect, and no amount of elbow grease (with a steel wire brush) takes the stuff off the shell.

Does this look like the infamous black algae, or am I looking at a more serious problem?

Thank you for the collective insight!
    Hello & Welcome to TFP. What FC level were you maintaining, and for how long? It's hard for me to tell what that exactly is in those pictures.

A little history of your pool care would be helpful. How do you chlorinate your pool, and how often do you test. What do you have for a test kit.

Also, please add your pool's details to your signature so you don't get asked about it a thousand times

Have you read any of Pool School yet? If not I highly recommend The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, as well as the details of your Pool's Chemistry.

Also, we do not shock our pools on a regular basis, we SLAM our pools, but only if it's needed.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Along with Dom's questions, and based on your location, do you fill your pool with city water or well?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

HI! So glad you found us! We can help you but need some more info. please.

Do you have any idea how old the pool is?

kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit