Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does comport expansion allow more than 3 connections?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does comport expansion allow more than 3 connections?

I already have 3 things connected to my EasyTouch Comport which I understand is the maximum number. I can't tell if the comport expansion just allows easier wiring or if you can connect more than 3.
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does comport expansion allow more than 3 connections?

Theoretically you should be able to add more than three devices to the comm port as it's RS-485 protocol. But, Pentair could have limited it in some way to prevent it, though I don't know why they would.

You could contact them and see what they say, or you could buy the comm port expansion board and try it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The RS-485 electrical standard specifies that a maximum of 32 drivers and receivers can be put on one 2 wire bus. I think that Pentair does not want you to try and put more than three wires in one of the screw type connectors. I would put a larger wire (22 ga) in the screw terminal and then pigtail the number of wires I wanted onto the 22 ga wire with a small wire nut. RS-485 is protected in terms of short circuit or over current events, so you really cannot damage anything. Hope this helps you.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

That make sense. The wires from the pump are pretty thick and barely allow the other two small wires in. I'll pigtail it.