Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Pump Question

Now that I have had water in my pool for 26 Days I have noticed a few things that I would like some clarification on.

1. When the pump is running, there is small amounts of air in the pump basket window, and if it is on high, the amount of air is even greater and a small amount of air bubbles come from the jets in the spa (does this mean I have a suction leak somewhere or is this normal to have a small amount of water?)
    2. When I open up the pump basket to clean it out, the water in the pump housing siphones back thru the pipes and starts to gurgle. Then I have to purge the air from the filter

Thanks in advance for all of your help... I would be lost right now without this site
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Pump Question

Sounds like you might have a suction side leak. Check out Suction Side Air Leaks in Pool School for help tracking down the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Sounds like you might have a suction side leak. Check out Suction Side Air Leaks in Pool School for help tracking down the problem.
    Thank you for that...I will check all of this out myself but this should be covered by the PB as it was only finished less than a month ago. But I would like to know where the leak is at so I can be sure they fix it correctly

thanks again
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition to what JohnT noted, in reference to your question #2 above ... (in comparison) the water in my pump basket will do the same thing if I don't shut-off my 3-way valves before/after the pump station. It is important to isolate the pump equipment from the pool when opening the system (i.e. opening basket lid, cleaning the filter, etc). Just a thought.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Really? Mine has small amount of air when the pump runs at low speed. The air is gone if run at high speed.

2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

I almost always have a few bubbles squirreling around the pump basket lid. It is no big deal near as I can tell. My pump primes in under 10 seconds every time.

Yes, when one 'cracks the seal' in the system to clean out the pump basket, unless you have valves to shut/isolate things (I don't...only 3-ways and a few check valves and none near the pump), it'll gurgle and spit and make a lot of noise. You then purge the air via the air valve on top of the filter when you restart the system and you might need to refill the pump basket, too.

As far as I know, for my system, this is all quite normal
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by yangcha1 View Post
    Really? Mine has small amount of air when the pump runs at low speed. The air is gone if run at high speed.
    That's often the case. The OP, however, has more bubbles at high speed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

That's often the case. The OP, however, has more bubbles at high speed.
    This is the case
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

9. Back To Top    #9

So I played with this a little last night...I turned the valve that controls the pool and the cleaner port all of the way to cleaner and more bubbles showed up in the window...so I then turned the valve all of the way to pool and got zero bubbles in the window. So I either have a leak in the cleaner hose (The Pool Cleaner 2 wheeler) or in the PVC from the pool cleaner to the valve by the equipment. I will disconnect the cleaner tonight and try it again with my wife holding the cleaner port door open to see if there are bubbles or not with the valve back on the cleaner side

I will keep you all updated...

thank you
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater