A Couple Of Closing Questions

May 5, 2013
Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Ok, I've decided to try and close my pool by myself this year for the first time. Thanks to all of the great information on here, I feel pretty confident. I just have a couple of quick questions.

I have a saltwater pool, CYA is 70, FC is right around 6 right now, and I have never had any CC. So, I shock to a FC level of 28 prior to closing right? If I'm pressed for time, is ok to just shock it today, assuming it passes the overnight test, close it all up tomorrow morning? Or is it critical to give it the time to drop back half way to normal levels?

Also, is there anything special I need to do with the IntelliChlor generator? Is it ok to just leave it out there?

Lastly, the DE filter...at what point should I relieve the air from the system? Prior to draining the equipment? Once the pool is all closed up, should I open the filter and clean all of the elements? Or is it best to wait until spring for that?

Thanks in advance for all the help! This site is great thanks to all of the extremely knowledgeable people on here willing to share their experiences and advice

You will be fine bringing the FC up to shock level and closing the next day.

Check your SWG manual for winterizing instructions. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntelliChlorElectronicChlorineGenerator520589J.pdf Looks like your manual recommends: "Remove the cell, clean and store it." Some recommend disconnecting and bringing indoors, some do not. If you disconnect, it would be a good idea to plug both ends of the piping where it was located with rubber plugs.

Once your pool is all closed, I'd recommend removing the DE grids from the filter, giving them a good cleaning, drying then storing indoors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.