Swim spa basement build (above ground/block wall)

Sep 15, 2015
Shelby Twp MI
Looking for some thoughts on an idea to help me with my triathlon training.

I'm considering building a custom swim spa in my basement since a traditional swim spa is a) very expensive and b) too big for my application.

My idea was to build a swim spa utilizing block walls and a badu swim jet to create essentially a swimming treadmill. With my busy schedule but big triathlon goal for Ironman Wisconsin in 2016, I need to shave any time like driving to gyms and pools so that I can meet my responsibility as a father and husband.

I'm thinking roughly 8'x6'x4' tall, properly finished with a bench or two that can be used as a hot tub if need be. The outside would be finished with tile or some other decorative finish to tie in that room.

I'm more concerned about the guts and skeleton of this idea vs the finishes to see if it's a feasible project.

Much thanks in advance

They do already make soft vinyl liner endless pools for such applications

Yes they do, but they are not cheap nor am I seeing sizes that fit my application.

That was the reason why I posted here, to get some feedback on my idea vs buying something remade because it won't work for my basement.

Put it this way, I can find a badu swim jet for like 2k and I'm in the trades business so the help is easy to come by. Just trying to figure out if it's been done before so I don't make any stupid mistakes.

So a simple dehumidifier won't do the trick to keep the moisture down?

I was considering a cedar buildout of that specific room to help w moisture.

My stubbornness works well for me in some cases in achieving goals...but this one is just unknown territory.

Definitely looking for some more feedback, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never considered the venting. I thought I could get away with using the right wood and dehumidifier to manage condensation.

Anyone out there see a way TO make this happen? I'm curious to hear of any out-of-the-box ideas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just bumping this to the top to see if anyone has other thoughts on this project? Essentially it's a mini-version of an indoor pool so I was planning on encasing the room in cedar to help w condensation, etc...thanks in advance

Just bumping this to the top to see if anyone has other thoughts on this project? Essentially it's a mini-version of an indoor pool so I was planning on encasing the room in cedar to help w condensation, etc...thanks in advance

Did you ever move forward with this?

My research indicates the combination of a fully covered pool (air tight), an HRV for air exchange and a dehumidifier (needed if outdoor humidity is too high) can easily control this type of install.

Additional, fully sealing this area off from the rest of the house is ideal. Something like spray foam on all walls and ceiling and a separate heating system to prevent air exchange with the rest of the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.