Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner...Kind of Clueless!

1. Back To Top    #1

Kensington, NH

New Pool Owner...Kind of Clueless!

Hi Everyone:

My husband and I just bought our first house (yay) and it includes a pool! I had an inground pool as a kid that used Baquacil. The pool at our new house uses bromine. We're pretty clueless. My dad is going to come visit (few hours away) and help us figure out the system, but we're trying to stumble our way through figuring out what the heck we're supposed to be doing to keep the pool clean and the pH and all that jazz where it should be!
    Pool Deets: in-ground, gunite, bromine

2. Back To Top    #2
    Cajun country, Louisiana

Re: New Pool Owner...Kind of Clueless!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new house and pool. There are plenty of nice people here willing to share their knowledge with you, so just post up some questions.
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

Hi! I don't know anything about bromine but can help with most anything else.

Let us know what you need to know.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

We have a saying around here that "once a bromine pool, always a bromine pool" because bromine when used/consumed becomes bromide salt. When you add an oxidizer such as chlorine it gets used up back to chloride and turns bromide to bromine. In other words, when you add chlorine it becomes bromine.

The only sure-fire way to get rid of the bromine from your pool is through a water change.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.