Salt generator issue

I just purchased a home from an estate so no one has knowledge of pool.I repaired the circuit board,all lights are working fine but salt reading is at default of 2500.After it cycles I get solid red hi salt reading and generator light goes out.I tested water with salt test strip and it reads 2100.Any help would be appriciated.
Tom

Hi Ltmoeller.
SWG run well with Salt at around 3200 ppm. I know that mine will stop working if it goes lower than 2500. Since yours is at 2100 I suspect its the same problem.

If you like, we can help you with your water balance.

Do you have a proper test kit? If not, I suggest TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, (see link in my signature).

What is your:
FC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

How is your pool looking?

On my machine, the solid red light means that the cells needs to be cleaned and recalibreated after the addition of salt.

I suggest you add salt to get to 3200-3400 ppm. (what is the size of your pool) Pool Math will help with the quantity. (see link in my sig)

I say to
1) shut off the power to SWG, add the salt, (suggest to wait 24h before turning it back on)
2) while you wait remove the cell and clean it with your hose to remove big dirt, then with a mixture of 1 gallon water to 1 quart muriatic acid
3) Add bleach to the pool, to keep the FC at the proper level according to your CYA.
4) switch the cell back on and recalibrate it (not sure if you have the manual or not), maybe someone else on the forum can help with that.

What test kit do you have? Remember pool store testing is neither accurate nor recommended when using TFP method.

Reading up may help.
Pool school will help (link in my sig)

These may help as well
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If it's reading high salt, you don't want to add salt until you check a few things.

First, check the salt level with a k-1766 test kit or a good salt meter.

What cell do you have and how old is it?

What are the diagnostic readings?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.