Slow pump, high CYA - algae?

Aug 30, 2015
Tampa, FL
Hi Folks,

New here, just bought a house and with that came in-ground pool. Took me a good month to get to pool (with lots of work around the house) and first thing I noticed is that pump pressure is on the high side (25ppi or so, I was told it's supposed to be around 15-20ppi). Spill-over spa wasn't spilling very well and the bot was crawling somewhat lazy.

Cleanup (hosed) filter and viola - everything is like new - the cleaning bot is almost jumping out of the pool, crawling walls, stairs, etc. water is streaming out of spa nicely and pressure is between 15-20ppi. Filter was somewhat dirty but not too bad.

3 days later - back to 25 and everything is slow again. Another filter cleanup, filter didn't feel that much dirty at all. But everything was fine again after cleanup. 3 days later - same story, repeat, etc. Finally I Google and it lands me on this forum. Kit ordered ASAP, just got my measures:

Ph 7.5
FC 5
CC 0
CH 200
TA 70
CYA 60

Not 100% sure, but I think my pool is plaster, so according to the references in pool school - my FC is somewhat low for this CYA and overall, CYA is a bit high. Combine these readings with the ppi symptoms - am I dealing with algae?

Visibly - the water is clear, no smell or any other signs of trouble. Bottom of the pool does have dark spots here and there (few feet wide each). Almost feels like the bottom of the pool is ageing, although now I'm wondering if those spots are of the organic nature. I tried brushing them - didn't help.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention.. coupe of weeks after I moved in I took water sample into local pinch-a-penny and they diagnosed low everythin told me shock the pool. I poured the amount of bleach they suggested and kinda put the pool back burner at the time. So, it's been shocked only once in last two months.

Any guidance would be highly appreciated! I'll keep reading the forum in the meantime, wealth of information here, hard to digest quickly....

Thanks all!

For right now we need to tell us how many gals your pool holds. If you are not sure just give us your measurements and we can help you figure it out.

Are those numbers from PaP? We will wait for YOUR test kit to come in before we talk about your levels. Pool stores are really bad are reading most of the tests. The CYA is the worst so..........

Take and share a pic of your pool and we can help id the kind.

I am so glad to see you have found us and are asking questions!

Kim

It is plaster and a neat shape!

Here is your next job--------take a puck and put it on one of the spots. Tell us what happens. Leave it for about 15 mins.

When you are out also buy some cheap vit. C tablets (NOT colored) for the next test.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.