Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intelliflo Drive unit

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intelliflo Drive unit

Does anyone know if the Pentair Intelliflo drive unit #353251 is repairable? It was hit with a strong surge and the unit controls and display work fine. The motor does not run. I was told by Pentair to replace the drive ($600) and it would work fine. Any other information you could share?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intelliflo Drive unit

I'm sure it is repairable but the question is, can you find someone to fix it? For another $250-300, I'd be tempted to buy an entirely new pump, install it to get your pool going again, and then dig into the drive unit's electronics and see if I could find something obvious to fix. If you can't, I bet you could part out (or I'd just hold onto it for future repairs) the pump to make back some money.

However, the first thing I'd buy is a surge protector! They are simple to install.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

Any recommendation on surge protector?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    I'm sure it is repairable but the question is, can you find someone to fix it? For another $250-300, I'd be tempted to buy an entirely new pump, install it to get your pool going again, and then dig into the drive unit's electronics and see if I could find something obvious to fix. If you can't, I bet you could part out (or I'd just hold onto it for future repairs) the pump to make back some money.

However, the first thing I'd buy is a surge protector! They are simple to install.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

I found a Leviton 51110 at Home Depot on sale for more than half off. I dunno why...maybe they aren't very good? I bought 2 of 'em. These are likely a one-shot deal, however. It can handle one surge and it'll probably get destroyed but it just depends on the surge's characteristics. There are others that tout being able to handle multiple strikes before needing replacement. Square D is a good brand that I'd trust. Search on that. Prices vary from $50 to several hundred.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN