Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tire Tube as Air Pillow

1. Back To Top    #1

Tire Tube as Air Pillow

So I'm tired of buying Air Pillows just to not have them last the winter so this year I'm using a tire inner tube, Amazon should have it here on Thursday. I'm assuming the same thing should apply like the air pillows...don't inflate it 100%, just 50-75% full. Any thoughts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tire Tube as Air Pillow

Make sure the valve does not hit the cover. I would think it would work?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Might make the water smell funny? I think some monomers will leech out a little over the winter.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Snow is not an issue for me. But I think I would have bought an inflatable raft instead. They're designed for constant immersion and are made out of pretty much the same material as intex pools.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by EVChargeGuy View Post
    Make sure the valve does not hit the cover. I would think it would work?
    That is what I planned on doing

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Might make the water smell funny? I think some monomers will leech out a little over the winter.
    as long as it smells like pool water after I start putting bleach in the spring. What are monomers and should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Snow is not an issue for me. But I think I would have bought an inflatable raft instead. They're designed for constant immersion and are made out of pretty much the same material as intex pools.
    Should have waited to press Checkout till later today... could have bought a raft!

oh well, if my partner gets his way we won't be at this house next spring so any problems won't be mine

Thanks for the replies though! This site has helped a lot even though I barely use the pool (think I was in it but 2 times this season)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

monomers are the things that make rubber stretchy. They make your hands smell funky when you hold on to an inner tube. Not an issue, just a thing to remember for next year.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I'm happy and sad to report that we are still here, and I just opened the pool and No funky smell from the tire tube and the tube stayed inflated unlike the air pillows I buy each year.