Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tucson Owner Builder

1. Back To Top    #1

Tucson Owner Builder

Hello all,

I'm contemplating going the owner builder route and was curious if anyone in the Tucson area has done it successfully (and willing to share recommended subs)? I believe I have subcontractors for steel/shotcrete and also for the tile/interior, but don't know how to find whoever would do the initial design and structural engineering. Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance!
    34x22 freeform, 94'/20,200 gallons, 3.5' to 6', Mini Pebble Aqua Blue, 8' lagoon shelf(18"), A&A in-floor, Venturi skimmer, A&A channel drain, 3 returns, VS3050 pump, Pentair CC420 filter, AQR 15 Salt System, 1 Intellibrite 5G light, 1 globrite in shelf, Heat Siphon Z575HP, 24" sheer decent, Decking will be stained salt finished concrete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tucson Owner Builder

There are several online companies that can help you with the design and structural drawings. I saw bluepools.com and they have a design service for 199.00 to modify one of their existing designs - not sure what the entire scope covers. They are not in my area of houston.

Let us know how your owner builder experience goes forward - this is something I am exploring too.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am in the same boat, collecting info for a likely Owner Build in Tucson area (Marana), so I am very interested in how things work for you. There are several companies like bluepools.com that advertise help for owner-builds in Arizona, including byop.net and tucsonpoolplanners.com, - I understand they typically help with the initial design and have a "preferred" list of subs that you can use for a fee, but I do not know if they extend out to Sierra Vista. A neighbor recently did this with a former pb owner helping oversee the construction and identifying subs for a small fee, and his pool turned out great. If you have a couple subs already selected, they can probably refer other subs up or down the chain.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,
    I was just wondering if you were successful in building your list of subs for your pool? I would be very interested as I am probably going to be going the owner/builder route as well. I know that you already had some of your subs picked out, and would love to get their names and how happy you were with their work. Any help and insight you could send me would be very appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownirish View Post
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if you were successful in building your list of subs for your pool? I would be very interested as I am probably going to be going the owner/builder route as well. I know that you already had some of your subs picked out, and would love to get their names and how happy you were with their work. Any help and insight you could send me would be very appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    So I ended up going with a Tucson PB, just wasn't confident enough to go it alone. My build has been held up slightly by permits, my county had only.one inspector lately. I'm scheduled to have excavation start on the 21st. Sorry I couldn't be any more help, if I see good subs they use, I'll pass that on.
    34x22 freeform, 94'/20,200 gallons, 3.5' to 6', Mini Pebble Aqua Blue, 8' lagoon shelf(18"), A&A in-floor, Venturi skimmer, A&A channel drain, 3 returns, VS3050 pump, Pentair CC420 filter, AQR 15 Salt System, 1 Intellibrite 5G light, 1 globrite in shelf, Heat Siphon Z575HP, 24" sheer decent, Decking will be stained salt finished concrete

6. Back To Top    #6

22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

There are several online companies that can help you with the design and structural drawings. I saw bluepools.com and they have a design service for 199.00 to modify one of their existing designs - not sure what the entire scope covers. jual vimaxThey are not in my area of houston.
    http://jualsextoysmurah.com/

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies guys. lastdon87 if you happen to see the names of the subs on the sides of the trucks pulling into your site I would really appreciate the heads up. I didn't really intend to go the owner/builder route, but a lack of PB's actually wanting my job since it requires the removal of a buried pool has me against the wall. Thanks for the help.
    Ryan

- - - Updated - - -

gwegan, thanks for the web site. I've actually read that whole site. It's like you say a bit dated, but very informative. I think the biggest issue is finding enough quality subs to get multiple bids.
    Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Bean:

Good subs are out there. But its difficult to find several who want to bid. Most work for pool builders consistently so they don't really sharpen the pencil too much. They rarely compete on price.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

I just kicked it off with bluepools.com and finished the design. Getting Engineered drawings and going to Permit next. My guess is if you call Derek at bluepools he might know subs in the area. His specialty is LA and Vegas.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Good luck!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Congrats! Post pics when you get them!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop