Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Take off the connectors.

1. Back To Top    #1

Take off the connectors.

I am leaving my Intex up for the winter. I drain it below the intake. Do you remove the connectors from the side off the pool and just leave the holes?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Take off the connectors.

This must be a tough question. I am thinking that I will leave the connectors on as replacing a connector is better than having the side of the pool damaged.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would suspect that leaving the connector(s) would be fine, not only so you don't add to any wear & tear on the liner, but also to serve as a good receptacle if you have to insert a plug or anything else as needed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Will your pool freeze this winter or not? You've not updated your location so no one really knows.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Will your pool freeze this winter or not? You've not updated your location so no one really knows.
    Sorry you are right. Yes my pool will freeze hard. That is why I am worried about the connectors. Even though I have the pool drained a few inches below the intake connector, I could imagine some water getting in the connector and freezing. I thought about leaving the connectors off but am worried that ice could form in the hole in the side and hurt the pool. I think that I will leave the connectors in. I hope to hear from somebody who has left their Intex pool up for the winter in a freezing environment.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've seen a few intex pools that have survived several winters here in Pa. We get hard freezes they keep on going. I'll refer to an actual owner as I don't own one. They seem to do better if they're left up. Good luck with it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Since the water is drained below them, it's very easy to remove the connectors, so just take them off. Better to be safe and not have them crack during the winter due to unexpected water getting inside them and freezing. I store mine indoors for the winter in a Rubbermaid container.

I do not understand the remark of having the pool side damaged by taking the connectors off, that it would better to leave them on. I believe the opposite would be true. Maybe I am missing something in your remark, don't know.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had read some where else that I should leave the connectors on because if water or snow froze in or around the opening, in the side with no connectors, that it could damage the pool side. I would rather have to replace the connectors than the pool, but I don't know so I am asking for your opinions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Simple, just do whatever you think is right for you.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    Simple, just do whatever you think is right for you.
    Is that an answer. Am I missing something here. I want to do what is right for the pool, if that doesn't offend you.

11. Back To Top    #11

No offense, hope none taken either. Just that you have answered your own question already, just leave them on if that suits you. If not, remove them. Or you can buy some sacrificial fittings to install in place of your good ones.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    I had read some where else that I should leave the connectors on because if water or snow froze in or around the opening, in the side with no connectors, that it could damage the pool side. I would rather have to replace the connectors than the pool, but I don't know so I am asking for your opinions.

I was pondering this same question. I'm in Pennsylvania. My pool came with plugs for the inlets, I believe. I think I am going to take the plunger valves, etc. off. They have gaskets that might wear faster if exposed to the freezing, etc. Not sure if I am correct in that assumption, but I think the plastic might fare better if store for the winter, too. I did that with my old pool when I left it up for 2 winters. I think I am taking the pump off, and leaving the sand part out. (Drained, of course.) all hoses and plungers I intend to store in the garage.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I would plug them, ice can pull all different ways. I've seen ice rip a skimmer completely of a pool wall. Better to drain a bunch below openings. Keep snow from pilling up to much. The last few winters in Ohio have been extremely cold
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale