Pump won't turn off

Jul 16, 2014
Riverview, FL
I have an older Jandy system and before the heavy Tampa rains, everything was good. Now I can't turn the pump off via the remote anymore.
I know the box & remote still "communicate" because all other functions work to include lights & spa features. This thing is running 24/7 now.
What are some basic trouble shooting steps before I wearily pull out the checkbook? What other info can I provide?

This has happened to me also. Locate the relay that controls the pump and give it a good whack with the plastic end of a screwdriver. This may separate the relay contacts if they have been "welded" together because of arcing. I would eventually replace that relay if this is the case.

I would try what OldPoolMan suggested first. If for some reason that doesn't work, hopefully there's a manual toggle switch of sorts on the lower rear of your pump. Some pumps may not have access to such a switch. Mine does, but I'm not sure if yours does. But worth checking.

No, putting it in service mode would have no effect if the relay contacts are stuck together. If you have power on the line side of the relay, and the contacts are stuck closed then nothing you can do as far as activating or not activating the relay coil will matter. Flipping the breaker as you are doing removes the line side voltage from the relay. I have never seen a switch on a pump motor, could be Texas is referring to a regular switch before the relay in your system that could remove the line side voltage to the relay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other thing to try is unplugging the relay coil wire from the circuit board. If the motor still runs then the relay contacts are definitely stuck together. In that case, try whacking the relay and if that does not work then you must replace the relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.