Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't turn off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't turn off

I have an older Jandy system and before the heavy Tampa rains, everything was good. Now I can't turn the pump off via the remote anymore.
    I know the box & remote still "communicate" because all other functions work to include lights & spa features. This thing is running 24/7 now.
    What are some basic trouble shooting steps before I wearily pull out the checkbook? What other info can I provide?
    20,000 gal chlorine DE filter (crushed shells?)
    IG pool, Older Jandy PDA remote control system
    Not sure if it's plaster/pebble, or fiberglass construction
    Pump and filter info coming; It has a gas heated spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't turn off

Well, until you can resolve the riddle of automation, isn't there at least a manual switch on the pump? Just to hold you over until you can fix the remote?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Check for a stuck relay on the pump system. It would keep the pump on 24/7.

4. Back To Top    #4

This has happened to me also. Locate the relay that controls the pump and give it a good whack with the plastic end of a screwdriver. This may separate the relay contacts if they have been "welded" together because of arcing. I would eventually replace that relay if this is the case.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

I will try whacking the relay tomorrow. In the mean time I can just flip the relay tonight in the Jandy box. Where is the switch on the pump located Texas?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you put the system in service mode the relay/pump should shut off

7. Back To Top    #7

I would try what OldPoolMan suggested first. If for some reason that doesn't work, hopefully there's a manual toggle switch of sorts on the lower rear of your pump. Some pumps may not have access to such a switch. Mine does, but I'm not sure if yours does. But worth checking.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I flipped the breaker for now. Putting it in service mode would have the same effect, yes?

9. Back To Top    #9

No, putting it in service mode would have no effect if the relay contacts are stuck together. If you have power on the line side of the relay, and the contacts are stuck closed then nothing you can do as far as activating or not activating the relay coil will matter. Flipping the breaker as you are doing removes the line side voltage from the relay. I have never seen a switch on a pump motor, could be Texas is referring to a regular switch before the relay in your system that could remove the line side voltage to the relay.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it. Turning it on and off manually via the breaker box for now.
    Would love to switch from Jandy to something else.

Whatnis everyone else using for their automation needs?

11. Back To Top    #11

One other thing to try is unplugging the relay coil wire from the circuit board. If the motor still runs then the relay contacts are definitely stuck together. In that case, try whacking the relay and if that does not work then you must replace the relay.