Test results confusing - need an action plan!

Hello! I am a newbie (bought a house with a pool 2 months ago) and am confused at these latest test results (well, generally confused about pool stuff but extra confused today!). I read through almost all Pool School today while trying to watch my 1 and 3 year olds so it may not have all sunk in. :crazy:

FC = 6.5
CC = 0.5
Ph = 8.0
TA = 130
CYA = 0 (I think, no cloudiness apparent)

Water looks clear but I have been noticing a chlorine smell on and off (I have a very sensitive nose though).

And these results are after I added in 1.5 litres of muriatic acid earlier today as my pool store test showed PH of 8.2!

I hadn't tested with my kit in a few weeks and the results have changed so much in that time. I had been cheating with pool store test results :oops: in the mean time as I wasn't confident in my own testing abilities yet and their results (just from yesterday) were so different to mine. I know I shouldn't worry about their results but it showed CC of 2.0 and CYA of 30. Since I'm new I feel like I must be testing wrong if my results are so different from theirs!

Anyways - what is most urgent here and the main question - can we swim??! This is probably the last week of nice weather up here in Ontario so we were hoping to get a few more swims in!

Pool Calculator says I should add 1.5 more litres of muriatic acid which I can do in the morning. But I need 557 oz of liquid stabilizer?! Should I bother since we'll be closing in a few weeks?

Isn't the high FC and non-existent CYA confusing? My pool is very shady, directly in front of a tall forest so maybe the lack of direct sunlight keeps my FC high? My SWG is at 60%, should I just lower that or have the pump on less to bring down the FC?

Sorry, very rambling post. I'm tired and confused. :confused: Thanks for any help/support!

If you really have that low of CYA the FC will burn off fast with any sunlight, I would suggest getting the pH down, and retesting everything in about 24-48 hours.

Ike

p.s. your situation is a bit like remember you locked the dog out in the back yard 3 weeks ago, and you go to check on him and he seems to be fine and well nourished, but hmmm where did the cat go

Thanks Ike!

So the confusing results continue...

I added a whole 1 gallon bottle of ACID Magic (muriatic acid).

New test results:
FC = 7.5
CC = 0
Ph = 8.0 (hard to tell exactly as the test kit stops at 8, could be higher?)
TA = 150
CYA = 0-30 (can't tell because the test kit stops at 30, very slight cloudiness though. For what it's worth, pool store test said 25.)

The FC has risen which might make sense as the pump is running a bit more each day the past couple weeks after the leak repair guys fiddled with the pump timer. So I reduced my SWG from 60 to 40% just now (and if I can figure out my pump timer! I'll reduce the pump run time too).

So I assume I'll keep adding acid until I get the Ph/TA in check? Can I swim in pH that high? Is there anything else I should do about my high FC?

(In case it's relevant, I had a significant water loss 2 weeks ago it was determined the cork gasket on one of the jets was to blame. That was apparently fixed. But if I'm not mistaken, I think the water has dropped a bit again. I have to do the bucket test to know for sure though.)

I agree, when you are at the top of the range, you are probably well past it.
Keep adding acid till you get it down in range.
You can retest 1/2 hr after adding as long as the pump is circulating water.
Repeat until you are where you need to be.

Can't say it is good to swim without a test result within the scope of the test kit.

Thank you! I bought more acid today and just before adding it, I tested again. And lo and behold, my Ph is down to 7.6! And FC is down to 5.5 Woo hoo! So I didn't add any more acid. I'm also happy to report I'm feeling much more confident (and quick) at testing the water myself. No more pool store for me. :grin:

Sadly I did confirm a leak, so now moving on to that issue...

Thanks folks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.