Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello all

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello all

My name is Tyjuan (like the country just spelled different) and I am a new pool owner with more questions than answers at the moment. I have a 27 x 52 above ground pool. I am currently looking at heating options at the moment. My pool is in a shaded area trying to decide if I should go with a heat pump or the hotspot fph heat recovery pool heater. Looking for feedback. Guys (and gals) let me know what you think.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello all

Welcome to TFP!

I don't have first-hand experience with either. But I can tell you that the FPH heat recovery heater depends on your central A/C system running as it recycles the waste heat that your air conditioner gives off. As the weather cools and you cut back on the A/C usage, then the recovery heater will not be doing as much to warm the pool. If you are looking at the heater to extend the swim season, then the recovery heater would not be the best option. However, if you mainly use the pool between Memorial Day and Labor Day and simply want the water to be warmer during this time, then it would be a good option.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hello all

That's basically the time we are planning on using the pool. I didn't know that the shade was going to make that big of a difference with the temperature. I like the fhp option the most but I'm still doing research on the install. I priced the the heater, the cost of the pvc pipe needed and the rental cost for the trencher to lay the pipes down. I'm checking for an experienced hvac tech to get an ideal of the price to install to see if it's worth the investment.