Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump speed and SWG - how slow can I run?

1. Back To Top    #1

st peters mo

pump speed and SWG - how slow can I run?

I have been browsing posts here and I see many folks posting very low pump speeds with SWG systems. I have a pentair intelliflow and a pentair IC40 on a 31000 gal pool. When I drop pump speed lower than about 1700-1800 rpm, i get low flow errors from the SWG. Is that to be expected? I see lots of folks posting here about running pump speeds much lower with SWG systems. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with my SWG....
    31K gal IG vinyl | Pentair Sand Dollar filter | Pentair Intelliflow VS pump | Pentair IC40 SWG | Aquacomfort H/C heatpump | Pentair Easy Touch controller | Dolphin M4 cleaner | TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump speed and SWG - how slow can I run?

It's going to depend on several factors including the brand and model SWG you are using, plumbing configuration, type and size filter, and even how long since you cleaned or back washed it. About all you can do is try lowering the pump speed 100 rpm at a time and see how low you can safely go. My system, it's about 1200 rpm.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

North Dallas

It really depends on your pool and how many things the pump needs to support. My pump is to support all the returns, skimmers and an infinity spa...... With lower than 2400 RPM... The pool is not happy, the skimmers are barely auctioning and the spa barely overflow.... So, many of the friends here runs much lower speed and much shorter time, which I am jealous of.... But I have to keep my pool clean and all the functions working properly... So 2450 minimum.... I actually run at 2850 RPM.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Depends on head loss and plumbing efficiency on your equipment pad. The heater is going to cause some loss. I run mine at 1100 rpm, 150 watts. No heater ... yet. It is on the list. There are pics of my equipment pad in my build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Waxahachie, Tx.

It's trial and error based on equip, poolsize,etc. I have s smaller pool than most. I run my swg at 25% with 1200 rpm
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).