Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter is down for repair, can I put chlorine in pool without the pump on ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter is down for repair, can I put chlorine in pool without the pump on ?

Our de filter is offline due to repairs, but our chlorine level is at 0 ppm. Is it ok to pour liquid chlorine into the pool with circulation, or will this incur damage to the pool plaster ?
    ECjon
    18,000 gallon plaster pool
    Pac-Fab Nautilus FNS 36sq ft DE filter
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filter is down for repair, can I put chlorine in pool without the pump on ?

get something like a boat paddle and swish it around as you pour it in. It will tend to distribute throughout the pool on it's own but you need to stir at first so it doesn't stay concentrated for long.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can put chlorine in your pool. Use a straw broom or such to stir it up and around the pool. You do NOT want the FC to stay at 0.

If it is warm enough you can even get in to stir it up good.

Now if you are real handy or have a sub. pump you can fix your pool pump or the sub. pump to push your water around in the pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Another option would be to simplify pour the chlorine around the pool and follow with a good brushing of the walls/floor. The too will mix the water up and distribute the chlorine.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for you help !
    ECjon
    18,000 gallon plaster pool
    Pac-Fab Nautilus FNS 36sq ft DE filter
    1 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a sump pump drop it in the pool and attach hose to discharge and direct it back in pool
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).