Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump relplacemement? Or just motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump relplacemement? Or just motor?

Hello,

My pool pump is getting incredibly loud. It is 14 years old and keeps me up when it runs at night. It seems to work fine, as far as I can tell, but I can't handle the noise! Wondering if I could just replace the motor or if I should replace the whole thing? I do believe it leaks a bit as well. I've included a picture of the pump label. This pump only runs the filters. I have a booster pump for the polaris, a separate pump for the spa, and a separate pump for the waterfall. I also have the Jandy Aqualink RS6 which all of the equipment is programmed to. I would love it if I could conserve some energy costs as well with a new motor or pump.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In ground, free form, gunite and plaster pool. 16,000 gallons. Built in 2001. All original equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump relplacemement? Or just motor?

8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

hmmmmm that is helpful. I'll try to do some more investigating...... Thank you.
    In ground, free form, gunite and plaster pool. 16,000 gallons. Built in 2001. All original equipment.

4. Back To Top    #4

As you dont have your location listed i cant look up if there are any rebates available via your local power company.
    Often there are rebates on Eco type pumps such as 2 speed & Variable speed pumps.
    You should look into it, it may make replacing the entire pump more attractive?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like my electric company is offering a $100 rebate. Doesn't seem like much of an incentive for me....

6. Back To Top    #6

Through research, I decided I needed to replace the shaft seal. I took the entire pump apart. When I did that, there was a white crusty substance inside most of the unit. I'm wondering if this means the water leak has affected the motor and bearings? When I separated the motor, and test ran it by itself, it sounded normal. I'm trying to determine if the bearings have been affected and need replaced? I cleaned the impeller, didn't find much significant in there. When I put the pump all back together, and started it up...... same extremely loud noise. Again, worth noting, this pump is 14 years old, with absolutely no maintenance done to it up to this point. Help please!?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Moisture has gotten into your motor via the leaking pump seal and the bearings are loud due to rust and corrosion. You need to compare bearing replacement on an old motor vs a new motor cost.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If you want to isolate the source of the noise you can use the old stick method to isolate it. Find a stick or piece of wood about 3 feet long. Place one end on the motor and the other near your ear. You should hear a distinct sound coming through the stick. Do the same thing on the pump. Try different places. You should be able to identify where the sound is coming from.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir