How much borax exactly?

PoolMath will calculate exactly how much borax and muriatic acid to add for your pool volume.

Alternative approach is to use boric acid as that method is easier but requires purchasing boric acid online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - Interesting. I'm just curious as to what size box Trouble Free Pool was referring to as to the 3 1/2 boxes specifically.

The most common size is the standard 4+ lbs box you get in the supermarket. Larger sizes are available but not very commonly found in stores.

Borax is used in two different ways in a pool. One is to raise the PH, which doesn't require much. The other is: in SWG pools that have issues with constantly rising pH level borating the pool can help by buffering rapid pH changes. In this application a borate level of around 50 ppm is normal. This can be done with either boric acid or by using 20 Mule Team Borax and a lot of acid to bring the pH back down. That does take a lot. In my case 15 boxes of borax and 4 gallons of acid.

Are you going to close your pool this winter? If so, I would not add borates until next spring when you open as you will lose some over the winter.

For your 30,000 gallon pool it should take 23 of the 76 oz. boxes and 6.5 gallons of full strength acid to raise the borate level to 50 ppm.

I've added borates to my pool using the 20 mule team method and by using boric acid. I have to say, going the boric acid route is by far the simplest way to add borates to a pool. There's no messing with acid, you just broadcast the boric acid in the pool and give it a good brushing and let the pump run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks - now that is good - and important - to know and note in his post. I hope he will update that and clarify for everyone.

I think the point that JasonLion was making in that section of the post is that you should break up the borax additions in the following way - for every gallon of muriatic acid added, you add 3-1/2 boxes of borax. People sometimes make the mistake of adding all of the borax all at once or add the borax before the acid which is a huge mistake. If you intend to use the borax method then you MUST lower your pH first before adding any borax.

Furthermore, the post clearly states to use PoolMath to calculate the exact amounts of borax and muriatic acid needed to raise your borates. Therefore, it makes little difference to know what the exact box weight is or how many boxes it equates to. You simply use PoolMath to determine the amounts needed and then break those amounts up into multiple additions to avoid overshoot. Every pool is different and JasonLion was simply stating an example of what to do not a hard and fast rule.

This is also why the boric acid route is so much easier. All you need to do is weigh and add is boric acid. It dissolves rapidly and is quickly dispersed with only a minor reduction in pH.

I think the point that JasonLion was making in that section of the post is that you should break up the borax additions in the following way - for every gallon of muriatic acid added, you add 3-1/2 boxes of borax. People sometimes make the mistake of adding all of the borax all at once or add the borax before the acid which is a huge mistake. If you intend to use the borax method then you MUST lower your pH first before adding any borax. ]

I totally understood this point. I still say if you are going to spell out 1 gallon for MA, then you should specify the size of the boxes of Borax "in his example." They are 76 ounces each. I think this thread is done. Thank you for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.