Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much borax exactly?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much borax exactly?

The following thread is closed so I couldn't reply: Borates - Why and How

However it says "3 1/2 boxes of borax." It doesn't mention size - I bought a box of 20 mule team - one box is 4lbs. So how many boxes? I can't imagine putting in more than one box, slowly in the skimmers (preferably) at this time of year in Northern Virginia. Thanks.
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much borax exactly?

PoolMath will calculate exactly how much borax and muriatic acid to add for your pool volume.

Alternative approach is to use boric acid as that method is easier but requires purchasing boric acid online.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you - Interesting. I'm just curious as to what size box Trouble Free Pool was referring to as to the 3 1/2 boxes specifically.
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by aarsic View Post
    Thank you - Interesting. I'm just curious as to what size box Trouble Free Pool was referring to as to the 3 1/2 boxes specifically.
    The most common size is the standard 4+ lbs box you get in the supermarket. Larger sizes are available but not very commonly found in stores.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Borax is used in two different ways in a pool. One is to raise the PH, which doesn't require much. The other is: in SWG pools that have issues with constantly rising pH level borating the pool can help by buffering rapid pH changes. In this application a borate level of around 50 ppm is normal. This can be done with either boric acid or by using 20 Mule Team Borax and a lot of acid to bring the pH back down. That does take a lot. In my case 15 boxes of borax and 4 gallons of acid.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you JoyfulNoise - that is exactly what I needed to know.

- - - Updated - - -

For me - I usually only need 1/2 gallon HCL to 1 gallon tops so the borax would be proportional, I assume (used with Muriatic acid). Thanks.
    ​aarsic

7. Back To Top    #7

The standard 20 Mule Team Borax box is 76 ounces weight (4.75 pounds).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL - yes - that is what I have. What I was asking was when JasonLion said "3 1/2 boxes of borax" what was he referring to? The 20 Mule Team box of approx 4 lbs or what? I tagged him in a link but haven't heard back yet. But that is what I'm going with.
    ​aarsic

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you going to close your pool this winter? If so, I would not add borates until next spring when you open as you will lose some over the winter.

For your 30,000 gallon pool it should take 23 of the 76 oz. boxes and 6.5 gallons of full strength acid to raise the borate level to 50 ppm.

I've added borates to my pool using the 20 mule team method and by using boric acid. I have to say, going the boric acid route is by far the simplest way to add borates to a pool. There's no messing with acid, you just broadcast the boric acid in the pool and give it a good brushing and let the pump run.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks ping I'll save this for next spring (i'll put in my 4lb box now for one last "hurrah" just to stave off aglae and add softener).
    ​aarsic

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, when he was referring to Borax he was referring to boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax that are 76 ounces weight each.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks - now that is good - and important - to know and note in his post. I hope he will update that and clarify for everyone.
    ​aarsic

13. Back To Top    #13

How much borax exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by aarsic View Post
    Thanks - now that is good - and important - to know and note in his post. I hope he will update that and clarify for everyone.
    I think the point that JasonLion was making in that section of the post is that you should break up the borax additions in the following way - for every gallon of muriatic acid added, you add 3-1/2 boxes of borax. People sometimes make the mistake of adding all of the borax all at once or add the borax before the acid which is a huge mistake. If you intend to use the borax method then you MUST lower your pH first before adding any borax.

Furthermore, the post clearly states to use PoolMath to calculate the exact amounts of borax and muriatic acid needed to raise your borates. Therefore, it makes little difference to know what the exact box weight is or how many boxes it equates to. You simply use PoolMath to determine the amounts needed and then break those amounts up into multiple additions to avoid overshoot. Every pool is different and JasonLion was simply stating an example of what to do not a hard and fast rule.

This is also why the boric acid route is so much easier. All you need to do is weigh and add is boric acid. It dissolves rapidly and is quickly dispersed with only a minor reduction in pH.

Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

[QUOTE=JoyfulNoise;926627]I think the point that JasonLion was making in that section of the post is that you should break up the borax additions in the following way - for every gallon of muriatic acid added, you add 3-1/2 boxes of borax. People sometimes make the mistake of adding all of the borax all at once or add the borax before the acid which is a huge mistake. If you intend to use the borax method then you MUST lower your pH first before adding any borax. ]

I totally understood this point. I still say if you are going to spell out 1 gallon for MA, then you should specify the size of the boxes of Borax "in his example." They are 76 ounces each. I think this thread is done. Thank you for your input.
    ​aarsic