Planning to build a backyard pool in Las Vegas.

Sep 9, 2015
Henderson,NV
We are new here...
We are in process of selecting a pool/spa builders in Las Vegas.
4 quotes, and 2 are selected as finalist.
They both basically come up with the same SWCG design, same features, except:
Builder A: Spray deck, spray coping, water line tiles and Pentair equipment’s.
Builder B: Paver deck, Flagstone coping, Flagstone water line and Hayward equipment’s.
Builder A is quoted more than Builder B $2500.
Which one do you choose?
Thank in advance for your time and considering on this matter.
Tim :confused:
LVPool_03.jpg

Looks nice. I am also just about to sign a contract to start a build in Mesa, AZ. All the builders i have talked to have told me that if I want salt, I would have to avoid any of the soft natural stone such as travertine or flagstone. The salt is corrosive and the stone will crumble. Other areas of the county that have more rain can get away with it but it is not advised in the Southwest.

Just from design and numbers I'd go with builder B. Same plaster material?
Personal preference, but I'm debating between a concrete patio vs pavers and leaning towards pavers.

I'm in Henderson NV also, but I have an existing pool that needs a renovation, want to send me the name of the companies? Take a look for the other local build threads in this section, there are a couple around, just have to search for them.

Tim, as you know I know several off the pool subs here in town. Shoot me an email if you have any questions about one and I'd be happy to contact them on your behalf.

Decking was probably one of our hardest decisions and in the end we went with spray-deck even thought we would have preferred pavers. I think it comes down to how you will use your pool/deck; if you don't mind keeping track of a pair of flip flops when you're getting in and out of the pool and wearing something on your feet when walking around the decking then I think pavers would be fine. We prefer bare feet, I don't want to track down my flip flops, we have a 4 yo grandson who spends part of the summer with us and he's not going to track down his sandals so we went with kool decking. We have pavers in our driveway and on a hot Vegas day we went out and walked on them barefoot, way too hot for us. Neighbor has them and wants to pull his up and put spray deck because as he puts it, "if we go out to the pool barefoot we have to run across them otherwise we burn our feet."

We would have preferred pavers, love the look vs. spray deck, less maintenance etc. but for us they wouldn't have worked.

Hope that helps. Feel free to come over and kick your shoes off and walk on my decking and my driveway pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My question to builder B:

BTW, I have 2 questions for you:
1/ what is the name of flagstones and pavers we use in this design?
2/ what is the model number of Hayward Salt Water Chlorine Generator?
Thanks

And following are their answer :
Our flagstone comes out of our quarry in Arizona, the pavers are
pave stone, made here in Las Vegas, the salt generator, is Hayward,
aqua rite, Smart Pure, and it is sized for the individual gallons of the
pool project.

What color pavers though? http://www.pavestone.com/wp-content/uploads/LV2.pdf

We took the temps of the darker ones (old town blend) that are now commonly used for driveways and walkways, they were significantly hotter than a light tan (adobe tan) paver. We have a sample paver block in my backyard right now that is very close to the same color as our "Kool" decking, the temps are the same on both, also we checked our "Kool" decking against bare concrete and it was the same, just feels cooler because of the texture. I should also mention that my "Kool" decking is very likely not name brand, it was a very poor quality product and install, I bought the house with existing pool, so that is why we are doing a reno.

We stood on travertine tile a couple weeks ago and almost scorched our feet, it was way hotter than the Kool Decking sample next to it. I was shocked, because everyone is saying it is the coolest surface, so what gives? It was over 100 degrees outside at the time, unfortunately we didn't have the temp. gauge with us, so I may go back and check it.

Was the travertine sample you stood on installed properly or just a sample set out on concrete or dirt. From what I am being told, once installed properly the travertine will transfer heat to
The sand beneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxy : thank for your infos , I chose the light color (SANTA BARBARA BLENDPLAZA STONE REC. & SQ.). However if the travertine is compatible with spray deck in term of heat transfer then I would upgrade to it. Sound like I am leaning toward the paver decking , then find the way to keep it cool (like misty or sprinkler...under 100oF-110oF) ...LOL :confused:

Helen203 : just for fun ! Humidity (80%-90%) make our barefeet on 110oF surface feel like stepping on a hot water !!. and Humidity (less than 10%) make it feel like stepping on a frying pan ! LOL :D

Was the travertine sample you stood on installed properly or just a sample set out on concrete or dirt. From what I am being told, once installed properly the travertine will transfer heat to
The sand beneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how it was installed, it was a display pool outside at a pool builder store. It was a full deck around a pool, but I don't know what was under the travertine. Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that.

Foxy : thank for your infos , I chose the light color (SANTA BARBARA BLENDPLAZA STONE REC. & SQ.). However if the travertine is compatible with spray deck in term of heat transfer then I would upgrade to it. Sound like I am leaning toward the paver decking , then find the way to keep it cool (like misty or sprinkler...under 100oF-110oF) ...LOL :confused:

Helen203 : just for fun ! Humidity (80%-90%) make our barefeet on 110oF surface feel like stepping on a hot water !!. and Humidity (less than 10%) make it feel like stepping on a frying pan ! LOL :D

How much sun will your patio be getting? If you can shade the common areas that would help.

If any locals know a place with patio materials on display outside, please let me know!
That looks like a nice color paver, can you get some sample blocks and set them outside for a couple of days?

My existing "Kool Deck" is likely not be an ideal comparison to a quality material like QingGuy used, mine is basically rough concrete with paint, so it can barely be called "Kool Decking".

We went to Desert Springs Pool and Spa just to compare decking options, they have 4 display pools outside with a couple different colored Kool Deck and the darker was a tad hotter, unfortunately they do not have a paver deck, their travertine was extremely hot for some reason, but like mentioned above it may have been due to their method of install.

We are leaning towards pavers for a couple uncommon reasons though, we have a septic tank near the pool and we'd like that area to be a seating area and a fire pit, obviously can't pour concrete there, so we are considering pavers, then to access the tank we could remove and replace the pavers. We are going to do a paver walkway from the patio to the garage and to the yard gate, so figured to just do it all pavers. We have some water pooling issues on the deck when it rains, the slope was not done well, so pavers would help with drainage and would also lower our existing deck a little which would help keep water from flowing into my house. (Reminder, I have an existing pool that was not done well)
We do not have kids running around. We have dogs though, so heat and the texture/roughness is a consideration for them. We do usually have shoes on outside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.