Help me to understand my pool configuration

Sep 14, 2015
Toronto
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a beautiful 25years old in-ground concrete pool (few months ago I bought my first house :))
I need the forum for helping me to figure out how my pool has been designed :D

I watched many videos and read many articles/messages, but it seems that my pool has not a common configuration.
Following a picture of my equipment:
1.jpg

On the left there is a Jacuzzi Magnum pump, in the middle there is the Sand Filter (with the multiport valve) and on the right the Hayward H250ed2 Heater.
My configuration doesn't have any other valve or switch (i.e. the Drain/Skimmer valve) except the multiport on top the filter, so I think that the skimmer and the MD lines are connected under the ground.

In the pool there are 3 returns/jets and 1 skimmer.
The skimmer has two holes with one already plugged, it looks like the "Common Skimmer Plumbing" presents in this page:
http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6327

I wrote down in a paper a possible configuration of my pool:
3.jpg

What do you think?
Does my diagram make sense?

The problem is that it's time for closing the pool! :(
And I'm confuse because often in the youtube videos is always shown to connect an air compressor to the pump, which drain plug should I use? The one on the right?:
2.jpg

but in this way I can blow out the water from the pump to the returns/jets; the skimmer and the main drain are not interested by this process, is it correct?

I know that it's impossible to blow out completely the water from the main drain, but what should I do to keep safe from cracks the skimmer/MD lines?
I was wondering to put the Gizzmo in the skimmer and use the other pump plug (the one on the left) to blow out the water in the skimmer/MD lines, does it make sense?
And also..should I remove all drain valves (2 for the pumps, 1 for the heater and the filter) from the equipment?

Thank you in advance for the responses.
Alberto

P.S.
Anybody is available for helping me to close the pool in north Toronto? :) :) :)

Your drawing seems rational. Without any other valves and the 2nd hole in the skimmer plugged, the MD and skimmer piping must join underground.

Option 1 - Install a valve on the suction piping, poolside of the pump basket (this can be done anytime). Then use the drain plug on the pump basket to introduce air - I think the one on the left. With the returns plugged, blow out the skimmer piping, then plug skimmer forcing air to blow out the main drain. Then immediately close new valve (shut off compressor) to trap air in the piping. Suction side done. Remove plugs on returns, turn on compressor and plug the returns individually starting at the one with the most air coming out of it. Once all three are plugged, remove drain plug on filter then heater and you’re done.

Option 2 - Without having a valve on the suction line to "trap" air in the line you will not be able to keep that line drained once you blow it out. It does though appear that your pump is installed with unions. If so, I would buy two more unions that can be threaded up to the existing ones (hopefully the existing are standard). Take 2 short (~6") stubs of pipe - install one half of each union to one end that will thread the existing unions once the pump is removed. On the other end of the stub(s), install a cheap valve and a 3/8” threaded bushing. The 3/8” bushing is where your air compressor will be screwed into.

When you are ready to winterize; remove the pump and install the two stubs you made. On the suction side, hook up your compressor and have your gizzmo or cap ready by the skimmer. With your new valve open, start the compressor and introduce air until the skimmer line is purged. With the compressor still running, thread the plug into the skimmer. This will direct all the air main drain. Eventually (with enough air pressure) the main drain will start blowing (mostly air coming out). Immediately close the valve and shut off the compressor - Suction side done.

Return side; Hook the compressor or to the other stub and introduce air. Plug the returns individually starting at the one with the most air coming out of it. Once all three are plugged, remove drain plug on filter then heater and you’re done. Note that this stub really doesn’t need a valve installed.

My compressor has an adjustment to regulate the pressure it delivers. I set mine to about 20 psi to winterize my pool. With the regulator, you can let it run the whole time without fear of over pressurizing the piping. Neither of these options gives a good way for anti-freeze, but I would feel confident without it. You can drain the filter without the compressor, but it is just terribly slow. Either way just leave all plugs out of the equipment and store them in a safe place until the spring.

Hope this makes sense and it is close to the easiest way to do it. Good luck.

Thank you for the response :)

This morning I was looking at the main drain in order to understand if it was working or not.
After some experiments :D, It seemed that it was not sucking anything.

This is my main drain:
IMG_20150915_082226822.jpg

On the right there is the pipe and on the left there is a cap.
I read something about diverters.... is it a diverter? :)

How does it work?
When the cap senses that the pressure above is lower, it opens the main drain?

Thank you in advance for the response.
Regards :)

Alberto

I do not know what that is, but i think that maybe a hydrostatic relief valve. Some pools, especially other than vinyl, were built with hydrostatic relief valves such that if the pool were drained the valve would open letting groundwater into the pool vs. the pool lifting or shifting due to the water pressure. The valve would only open if the water pressure below the pool was greater than the pressure in the pool.

See this... Hydrostatic valves and pool bracing | new life for your pool

I don't think you have a main drain, which simplifies your closing.

Thank you for your help,

I read the page that you have gently provided me, but I don't understand a couple of things :):

1) In case I want to empty the pool, how can I do it? I mean, if there isn't a drain pipe where the water will blow out?
2) I don't understand the functionality of the pipe close to the hydrostatic valve, where is it connected? Why is it used for the inspection?

Thank you :)

Is there a valve on the suction side of your pump that changes flow between skimmer and drain? What experiment did you do? There isn't really a lot of flow into bottom drains when they are open.

To empty the pool you can use a submersible sump pump, buy a cheap one or rent one.

Hi,

basically I noticed that there wasn't water movement close to the pipe. With the pump on, the small leafs, close to the pipe, were unmoving.
I don't have any valve or switch for changing from skimmer to drain.

I don't understand where is connected that pipe.
In my opinion should be connected to the skimmer line, but at this point...I don't know!

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I decided to call the company for closing the pool :(
And this morning they did the job (they used the cyclone) and they also confirmed that my main drain line is isolated/not used.

The closing was very simple, but I noticed one thing:
They didn't remove the heater drain plug !!
They only disconnected the pressure switch (the one inside the front panel).
Can this be dangerous? Probably they forgot to remove it :( !!
But I was thinking that they pumped air in the pipe so probably there is no water inside the heater, and it was unnecessary to remove the plug...what do you think? In your opinion should I call back and report this?

Thank you.
Regards.

I would at least call back and ask why they didn't remove it, since your goal in using them was to learn your pool ;)

Glad you got to watch them close...sometimes its better when new to a pool to use techs to learn!

I called back and they told me that they never removed the drain plug from that heater, they just blow the water from the pipes.
What should I do?

The old house owner suggested me to call this company.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.