Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I store the solar cover in the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oxford, MI

Can I store the solar cover in the pool?

Will be closing our in ground pool this week for the first time (while owned by us). This past spring we found the solar cover in the bushes, half buried in the dirt. I don't think that is a good storage option. We have a safety mesh cover but I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I just rolled out the solar cover into the pool, like how I would on a normal night, and then just put the mesh cover on for the winter. Will it degrade the solar cover or leech plastic into the water or something? Where does anyone else store their solar cover?

Thanks for your help!
    In-Ground pool: 9,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    Spa: 211 gallon / vinyl inflatable Lay-Z-Spa
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Can I store the solar cover in the pool?

I would think that the ice and thaw/freeze cycle would likely tear up the cover if you left it on top of the pool. I would take it off, roll it out on the grass/driveway and let it dry completely. Then roll it up, wrap in plastic and store indoors.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    New York

I would also store it out of the pool as JVTrain suggests. A mattress bag from u-haul etc. makes storing it easy.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LEG lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter)

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

It will not survive the winter if left in the pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter