Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going back to trichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Villa Park, CA

Going back to trichlor

Iím going back to my trichlor bucket -- for a week or two. Iíve been burning through CL during the day even though my CYN is 50, or so I thought. I got some R-7065 50 ppm CNY standard to ďcalibrateĒ my testing and found I was reading high. I turned off the Stenner for now and plan on using some of my old 3Ē tabs to add 10 ppm. When I added dry CYN, I needed to wait a week for a valid reading. Is this the same for the tabs, or will the CYN correctly register as soon as they dissolve?

I think anyone thatís the least bit concerned with their CYN testing ability should get some 50 ppm standard and do training. Iíve spent far more on wasted CL this summer than what the R-7065 cost.
    20' x 40' 30,000 gallon IG Plaster with Spa, wading pool, fountain built 1993
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo / 2HP fountain pump / 2 HP spa jet punp / Jandy Ji8000 controller with IntelliComm II interface to IntelliFlo
    Crystal Water Aqua Clean 60 Sq ft DE filter / FlowVis Flow / Stenner DIY Chlorinator / The Poolcleaner 4-wheel / Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going back to trichlor

The 3" pucks vary some in weight and composition but as a rule, in your 30k size pool you can expect the CYA level to rise by about 1ppm for each puck you use. So you can just count how many you use and start testing to fine tune as you get closer to your goal.

Without posting your full test results, I don't know how much addilinal CYA you need, but a couple weeks of using trichlor isn't going to make a huge addition in CYA.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit