Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning pump filter basket ?'s

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Cleaning pump filter basket ?'s

When cleaning the pump filter basket I turned off the power to the pump and opened the lid. The water overflowed from the opening. I don't remember that happening last time, what am I doing wrong?
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning pump filter basket ?'s

It is not uncommon for some water to flow out of the basket. But if a lot of water comes-out, or keeps flowing, make sure you have any shut-off valves closed before/after the pump to isolate it from water flow going in or out. If your filter has an air purge valve to let air escape, make sure it's closed as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    It is not uncommon for some water to flow out of the basket. But if a lot of water comes-out, or keeps flowing, make sure you have any shut-off valves closed before/after the pump to isolate it from water flow going in or out. If your filter has an air purge valve to let air escape, make sure it's closed as well.
    It keeps flowing. I'll have to see about shut off valves.
    How can I tell if I have an air purge valve? I don't think I do.
    Yes I'm still a newb
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I think that TP is referring to the air release valve on the top of your filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Perhaps a couple shots of your equipment might help us to help you better.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN