Winter Closing/Cover Advice

Jun 4, 2015
Maine
Sadly the swimming season is coming to an end up here in Maine and I would first like to say that our first summer with our AGP was a success thanks in part to the wonderful information on here. I would have never thought to take care of the pool with the methods on here and I am so happy I did.

I am hoping to get some advice/information on what people in the northeast do with their pool for winter given that we typically get a lot of snow and hard freezing. Just to give you some background, I have a 27' round above ground pool that is partially surrounded by a deck on half of the pool. I do have access to get under the deck to secure a cover if needed. I do not yet have a cover and am in need of something very soon as the leaves and junk from the trees are starting to fall more steadily. My plan is to follow the suggestions on this site for pool closing in terms of cleaning and water preparation. Once it is cleaned for the last time and all of my levels looks good I will lower the water level to about 12" below the return once the water is down closer to 60 degrees which should be in a few weeks once we stop having days in the 80's. From there I am unsure what to do. My initial plan was to get a solid cover secured and do my best to keep it free of debris through the fall and early winter, but I am leaning towards a mesh cover at the moment. The company that installed the pool recommends not using a over over the winter. They suggested I put a cover over the pool to capture leaves and debris, but then pull it off before the snowfall because they have seen this as a more successful method.

I am hoping to get suggestions of what people in the colder climates are using for their methods as the more I look into stuff the more confused I get. I do understand that sometimes the best process is the one that works for you so I would say that the less time intensive methods would appeal to me as time is a precious commodity that I never seem to have enough of :).

Hello and welcome to TFP! That's a very common question this time of year, and honestly you will see mixed reviews on using a solid cover. Some don't care to use one, others swear by it. A lot of personal opinions, pros & cons. Using a mesh cover to catch the most abundant amount of debris in the fall is a great idea. You have the right idea about how to close, so as long as you follow everything listed on the Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool, at least you can be assured your water will be in good shape in the spring. Great to have you on the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.