GFI Outlet keeps tripping

Starsky

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
I have a 2 receptacle GFI attached to the outside of my control panel to plug in various things. I had outdoor LED lights set up through a timer that I had plugged in for years that worked fine. Recently the GFI started tripping once in awhile and now it will trip consistently within 30 min when I have the pool lights on and nothing plugged into the receptacle, or pool lights off and 200 light LED Christmas lights plugged directly in.. but wont trip if I have the lights off and the 2 LED floodlights plugged in... I'm ready to call an electrician but thought I would try here first.

Attachments

• interior circuit box.jpg
    interior circuit box.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Overall view.jpg
    Overall view.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 35
  • GFI outlet.jpg
    GFI outlet.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 35
I would try to plug in the LED lights and/or the christmas lights into another GFCI outlet if you have one to see if you get the same results. But, I suspect that the GFCI outlet is simply wearing out. GFCI outlets have a lifetime of service that's shorter than a standard outlet due to the way they work to protect the outlet. I would replace with a new GFI outlet, assuming the lights don't trip another functioning GFCI outlet. They're only about $20 and can be done by most homeowners who can turn off a breaker before replacing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.