Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFI Outlet keeps tripping

1. Back To Top    #1

GFI Outlet keeps tripping

I have a 2 receptacle GFI attached to the outside of my control panel to plug in various things. I had outdoor LED lights set up through a timer that I had plugged in for years that worked fine. Recently the GFI started tripping once in awhile and now it will trip consistently within 30 min when I have the pool lights on and nothing plugged into the receptacle, or pool lights off and 200 light LED Christmas lights plugged directly in.. but wont trip if I have the lights off and the 2 LED floodlights plugged in... I'm ready to call an electrician but thought I would try here first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GFI Outlet keeps tripping

I would try to plug in the LED lights and/or the christmas lights into another GFCI outlet if you have one to see if you get the same results. But, I suspect that the GFCI outlet is simply wearing out. GFCI outlets have a lifetime of service that's shorter than a standard outlet due to the way they work to protect the outlet. I would replace with a new GFI outlet, assuming the lights don't trip another functioning GFCI outlet. They're only about $20 and can be done by most homeowners who can turn off a breaker before replacing.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

+1 to what JVTrain said!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks... I'll replace it this weekend. Seems to be the logical thing to do. Hopefully it resolves the issue but historically, my luck isn't that good
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

5. Back To Top    #5

Bought a new GFI for $15 and replaced it in 20 minutes. Works like a charm now. Thanks!
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

6. Back To Top    #6

Woohoo! Love it when they're the easy AND cheap fix!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons