Algaecide when closing

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I re-read Pool School closing just now as a refresher. I am on year 5 of my pool. I have never used algaecide at all, but have fought algae on and off this year for the first time. Given this, I plan to add algaecide this year when I close, and know I need the 60% concentration.

Usually step # 1 in closing is bringing the pool to shock level and maintaining that for 24 hours. Step # 2 is turn off the pump for the final time and cover pool Step # 3 - Start disconnecting everything (pump, PVC, etc) and plug the pool.

My question is - When in the above steps do I add the algeacide? How do I add it? Do I just pour it above the return (like I do with my bleach)? How long do I need to run the pump after adding it? Do I need to maintain shock level all during this time?''

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure I do it right!

Thanks in advance!!
Karen

Add polyquat 60 algaecide probably 30 minutes before you turn off the pump......just enough time to let it distribute throughout the pool. Are you going to wait until your pool temp is 60 or less? That will be a big factor for algae growing. It's still a little too warm in Raleigh right now.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm trying to wait but the pine straw has started falling massively and I am cleaning the skimmer at least twice daily because it's completely clogged up. Between that and the pool going completely unused for most of this year (kids are older now, school has started along with playing football) I'm having a hard time staying motivated to even maintain it vs. just draining and tearing down!

When you say temp 60, is it high temp of water 60, or low temp 60, or average 60?

Thanks.

Add polyquat 60 algaecide probably 30 minutes before you turn off the pump......just enough time to let it distribute throughout the pool. Are you going to wait until your pool temp is 60 or less? That will be a big factor for algae growing. It's still a little too warm in Raleigh right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.