Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide when closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecide when closing

I re-read Pool School closing just now as a refresher. I am on year 5 of my pool. I have never used algaecide at all, but have fought algae on and off this year for the first time. Given this, I plan to add algaecide this year when I close, and know I need the 60% concentration.

Usually step # 1 in closing is bringing the pool to shock level and maintaining that for 24 hours. Step # 2 is turn off the pump for the final time and cover pool Step # 3 - Start disconnecting everything (pump, PVC, etc) and plug the pool.

My question is - When in the above steps do I add the algeacide? How do I add it? Do I just pour it above the return (like I do with my bleach)? How long do I need to run the pump after adding it? Do I need to maintain shock level all during this time?''

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure I do it right!

Thanks in advance!!
    Karen
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algaecide when closing

Add polyquat 60 algaecide probably 30 minutes before you turn off the pump......just enough time to let it distribute throughout the pool. Are you going to wait until your pool temp is 60 or less? That will be a big factor for algae growing. It's still a little too warm in Raleigh right now.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm trying to wait but the pine straw has started falling massively and I am cleaning the skimmer at least twice daily because it's completely clogged up. Between that and the pool going completely unused for most of this year (kids are older now, school has started along with playing football) I'm having a hard time staying motivated to even maintain it vs. just draining and tearing down!
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

4. Back To Top    #4

When you say temp 60, is it high temp of water 60, or low temp 60, or average 60?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Add polyquat 60 algaecide probably 30 minutes before you turn off the pump......just enough time to let it distribute throughout the pool. Are you going to wait until your pool temp is 60 or less? That will be a big factor for algae growing. It's still a little too warm in Raleigh right now.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The water temperature.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!