We moved into our new house 3 weeks ago and this is first time with a pool. I have a reef tank and have had plenty of freshwater planted tanks so testing constantly doesn't bother me so decided to take a stab at maintaining the pool myself. The previous owners had a pool guy. I got the Taylor K-2006 kit and have been keeping my parameters like so:
FC - 3
pH - 7.6
The only issue is that my CYA is sky high way past 100. I am in San Diego so draining half the water and refilling is not going to happen. The thing is that I have not had any algae issues and I am using about a pint of 8.25% bleach per week and a 1/4 of a gallon jug of muriatic to keep my pH from spiking. There is also a chlorine tab on the floaty at all times. Based on what I have read in the stickies my FC should be a lot higher and I should be dumping a lot more bleach to keep up with demand but that hasn't been the case and I have no algae. The pool is ~14000 gallons. Is my test kit just off for the CYA?