New-to-me house and pool

Sep 13, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while. Today I went to do final walk through on our new house in north Phoenix. House has scorpions so that was more of the focus and the pool got pushed back and is no longer the #1 thing to get going correctly right out of the gate. However, I took a couple photos of equipment, and plumbing. Its an IG freshwater play pool and I didn't bring my tape measure, to measure depth, or area. It'll need the plaster re-done at some point in the next few years. It has pop-up sweeping jets. the pool has been maintained by a pool guy, and has tablets in a floater. So, I'm counting on water parameters to be all off. It has cartridge filter. I would really like some help on plumbing what all the valves go to. So here are some photos, we close escrow Tuesday, so I will be able to get more info then. My plan for this is to have a peristalic pump for my liquid chlorine delivery, as I work a lot of hours (at least 14 hours away from the house a day) and want to minimize daily additions.

Hello Danny and welcome to TFP. :wave: Let me see if I can answer a few of your plumbing questions. Others will help as well I'm sure. I'll start at your pump. The pipe coming up and out of the ground into your pump in front of the clear basket lid is your suction side entrance. It comes from your skimmer and/or main drain. The water then goes into your pump, out of the top of it and into your filter. Now you said you had a cartridge filter, but I wonder if it's not a DE filter? I say that because the pipe comes out of your filter (bottom pipe), rises-up a bit, and then comes to that first valve. That valve should allow you to adjust how much water goes to the pipe that goes back into the ground or continues straight down the line to the next valve. I think the pipe going into the ground might be for backwashing (cleaning) your filter. So then water continues to the second valve then adjusts water to other locations which honestly baffle me a bit because I don't know what else you have with your pool (i.e. spa, bubblers, fountains, etc). But by adjusting those slowly you should be able to figure it out. That final disc-shaped item also has me baffled. Not sure if ti is supposed to be some sort of chlorinator or something. I hope that helps you a little. I'm sure another member or two will recognize some of those things and clarify some more. In any case, congrats on your new home, pool, and welcome to TFP!

Also, once you get settled in your new place, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.