SWG for small 8,000 Gallon Pool in FLA

Hi JJ,
Welcome to TroubleFreePools

there are several reliable SWG systems on the market. Once thing you will find out is that they all have their plus and minus, so there really isnt a "right" answer to your question.
Probably Hayward Aquarite is the most well known
Pentair
Jandy,
Auto Pilot
Compupool

One thing for sure though, whichever you decide to go with, you want to size the SWG cell at least 2x the pool volume. 3 would be better as it would be less wear and tear on the cell and result in longer cell life.

As for maintaining the pool after installing the SWG. TFP is about teaching people how to manage and care for their pool based upon only putting in the water what the water needs, and not what a pool store may tell you. After all, they are in business to sell you stuff. Whether you need it or not is irrelevent to them.

I would suggest to click on the Pool School button at the top of the page, and start learing about pool care with the ABC's of pool chemistry. Its really not very difficult if its approached in a logical way. Not trying to put you off, but trying to put you on the right track to start. Knowing the ABCs will be very valuable to you.

I also highly recommend that you get yourself your own very good and reliable test kit. Either the Taylor K2006C or the TF-100. Link to the TF100 is in my sig. I support that because it's the best bang for the buck vs the K2006.

Some other references for you
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Hi JJ,
Welcome to TroubleFreePools

there are several reliable SWG systems on the market. Once thing you will find out is that they all have their plus and minus, so there really isnt a "right" answer to your question.
Probably Hayward Aquarite is the most well known
Pentair
Jandy,
Auto Pilot
Compupool

One thing for sure though, whichever you decide to go with, you want to size the SWG cell at least 2x the pool volume. 3 would be better as it would be less wear and tear on the cell and result in longer cell life.

As for maintaining the pool after installing the SWG. TFP is about teaching people how to manage and care for their pool based upon only putting in the water what the water needs, and not what a pool store may tell you. After all, they are in business to sell you stuff. Whether you need it or not is irrelevent to them.

I would suggest to click on the Pool School button at the top of the page, and start learing about pool care with the ABC's of pool chemistry. Its really not very difficult if its approached in a logical way. Not trying to put you off, but trying to put you on the right track to start. Knowing the ABCs will be very valuable to you.

I also highly recommend that you get yourself your own very good and reliable test kit. Either the Taylor K2006C or the TF-100. Link to the TF100 is in my sig. I support that because it's the best bang for the buck vs the K2006.

Some other references for you
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Hayward AQRITE Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

Thanks Dave!

Is this the SWG most highly recommended you mentioned?

For an 8,000 Gallon pool, what output % would you suggest for it? How long would you expect it to last?

Thanks!

If you want to try an SWG for very little cost, you can get an Intex more than capable for your pool for $129 at WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-System-15-000-Gallon/40900286

The only drawback is you might need to fashion some adapters out of PVC to hook it into your existing plumbing depending upon what brand of pool you have. You can buy them, but it's simple to make with a few pieces of PVC from the hardware store.

You'll typically get a couple of years out of one before you have to replace the cell, but replacement cells are available directly from Intex for $68. I've been running one for about 5 years, and wouldn't be without it.

If you want to try an SWG for very little cost, you can get an Intex more than capable for your pool for $129 at WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-System-15-000-Gallon/40900286

The only drawback is you might need to fashion some adapters out of PVC to hook it into your existing plumbing depending upon what brand of pool you have. You can buy them, but it's simple to make with a few pieces of PVC from the hardware store.

You'll typically get a couple of years out of one before you have to replace the cell, but replacement cells are available directly from Intex for $68. I've been running one for about 5 years, and wouldn't be without it.

Thank you very much for the assist!

The pump is a Pentair brand. -> will this be compatible with the Intex SWG ?

Do the walls of the pool still require weekly brushing with a salt water pool in the same way as the chlorine pool?

Thanks Dave!

For an 8,000 Gallon pool, what output % would you suggest for it? How long would you expect it to last?

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents here. That model is very much like mine. I have an even smaller pool than you. For me 25% is as high as I ever go. That's at the height of the swim season with max sun exposure. As the season had been going down. I've been turning it down a little. I'm currently at 20%. I'm keeping a FC of 7 due to high debris between sweeping and vacuuming.

Any brand of SWG will work, as long as you can connect the plumbing. Intex uses a proprietary fitting which is why you'll likely need to buy or make an adapter.

A saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. The SWG just makes chlorine from the salt versus you having to add it manually each day. So you treat it just as any normal pool. The only difference is that we recommend a little higher CYA level due to the slow steady rate at which the SWG adds chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any brand of SWG will work, as long as you can connect the plumbing. Intex uses a proprietary fitting which is why you'll likely need to buy or make an adapter.

A saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. The SWG just makes chlorine from the salt versus you having to add it manually each day. So you treat it just as any normal pool. The only difference is that we recommend a little higher CYA level due to the slow steady rate at which the SWG adds chlorine.

Excellent, thanks Jeff!

1. Where can I find the info on what I need to do to make the adapter for my Pentair pump?

2. What output (%) would I use on this SWG for my 8,000 gallon pool?

Much appreciated.

Search here for "intex adapter".

Intex SWGs don't have a percentage. You just set the timer for the number of hours per day that you want them to run. I run mine about 5 hours/day.

Yes JJ, that is an excellent system and you could go with a 25K cell instead of the 40 and get a lot of years out of it.
As to the output JJ, that depends a lot on your environment. How much direct sun, how many organics such as leaves, grass bugs etc gets in the pool.

I have appox 15K gallons with a 40K cell in Texas. I run mine in hot summer at about 30% output for 5 hrs a day to keep my FC where it needs to be.
Also another output factor, the longer you run your filter pump, the less output you need.
As an example, 4 hrs runtime at 40%
or 8 hrs at 20%
both of those would produce the same amount of chlorine.

So what you'll hve to do, is determine what your pump run time is, and then experiment with your SWG output to find out what works best for you.

Regarding the cost of the lesser expensive ones mentioned, the addage of you get what you pay for applies when it comes to pool pump equipment.

All of those things mean more chlorine demand.

After you

Thanks Dave!

Thanks!

Yes JJ, that is an excellent system and you could go with a 25K cell instead of the 40 and get a lot of years out of it.
As to the output JJ, that depends a lot on your environment. How much direct sun, how many organics such as leaves, grass bugs etc gets in the pool.

I have appox 15K gallons with a 40K cell in Texas. I run mine in hot summer at about 30% output for 5 hrs a day to keep my FC where it needs to be.
Also another output factor, the longer you run your filter pump, the less output you need.
As an example, 4 hrs runtime at 40%
or 8 hrs at 20%
both of those would produce the same amount of chlorine.

So what you'll hve to do, is determine what your pump run time is, and then experiment with your SWG output to find out what works best for you.

Regarding the cost of the lesser expensive ones mentioned, the addage of you get what you pay for applies when it comes to pool pump equipment.

All of those things mean more chlorine demand.

After you

Thanks Dave!

We are in SW FLA, get a good amount of sun but the house shields some of it during the day.

We have a good screen enclosure that keeps out most organics.

JJ,
Ok, well if you had a 25K cell, I would imagin 10 or 15% output might do you well since you have an enclosure and some shade. But as mentioned, there isnt a set rule.
The only rule is, if you pool needs FC, then bump up the output or increase the run time. But I dont see you having a large chlorine demand unless the whole neighborhood comes over.

how many hours a day do you run your pump now? Do you run it all at once continuous or break up the run times throughout the day or night?
The SWG is generally wired on the pump circuit, so if the pump is running, the SWG is 'on'. But thats not always the case, there is another option. It depends on what works well for you.

Some people like me want the pump running not because the water needs filtered, but because I like to see water moving if Im at the pool. WIth my SWG wired into the pump circiuit as it was, I was over chlorinating. So to remedy that, I installed a Timer specifically to turn on the SWG on a schedule several times a day. If you can create a schedule, then you can dose....dose.....dose....dose... a little chlorine at a time over the course of the day, instead of ddddooooossssseeeee all in one whack. Multiple doeses a day will let you keep your FC a little lower also, which result in adding to the life of the SWG cell. - Food for Thought -

JJ,
Ok, well if you had a 25K cell, I would imagin 10 or 15% output might do you well since you have an enclosure and some shade. But as mentioned, there isnt a set rule.
The only rule is, if you pool needs FC, then bump up the output or increase the run time. But I dont see you having a large chlorine demand unless the whole neighborhood comes over.

how many hours a day do you run your pump now? Do you run it all at once continuous or break up the run times throughout the day or night?
The SWG is generally wired on the pump circuit, so if the pump is running, the SWG is 'on'. But thats not always the case, there is another option. It depends on what works well for you.

Some people like me want the pump running not because the water needs filtered, but because I like to see water moving if Im at the pool. WIth my SWG wired into the pump circiuit as it was, I was over chlorinating. So to remedy that, I installed a Timer specifically to turn on the SWG on a schedule several times a day. If you can create a schedule, then you can dose....dose.....dose....dose... a little chlorine at a time over the course of the day, instead of ddddooooossssseeeee all in one whack. Multiple doeses a day will let you keep your FC a little lower also, which result in adding to the life of the SWG cell. - Food for Thought -

Thx Dave!

How do you add a timer to the SWG?

I have a Variable speed pump, so my timer setup may be different than yours because of that.

But basically, you take the power for the SWG from the power cable, or pump timer by either a splice or some other way. Or if you have a power distribution panel (breaker panel) at the equipment pad, you can pull power from that to the SWG. Then add timer in front of the SWG power unit. So in effect, you have two timers. One for the pump and one for the SWG.

Or you could install a two way timer to control the pump and SWG independently if that suits you better.

Thx Dave!

How do you add a timer to the SWG?

You would still have a chlorine pool. The chlorine is just generated for you by the cell. All pools need maintenance of one sort or another. Brushing and vacuuming are just part of the fun! :)
Gives you time to wind down and enjoy the crystal clear water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.